No announcement yet.

competitive high school boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• competitive high school boxing

I'm almost 16 and I'm looking to start boxing competitively. If there's anyone out there that knows about the competitive environment at a high school level, I'd like to know whatever you can tell me. Is there a regional/state/national competitive thing going on? If not, what can I do? Thanks!

Originally posted by cat-man! View Post
    I'm almost 16 and I'm looking to start boxing competitively. If there's anyone out there that knows about the competitive environment at a high school level, I'd like to know whatever you can tell me. Is there a regional/state/national competitive thing going on? If not, what can I do? Thanks!
    WELL U SHOULD PROLLY LET US KNOW WHERE UR LOCATED ??
    here in ny just find a local gym and ur gold

Comment

Originally posted by cat-man! View Post
      Look into Golden Gloves. Every year there is the Golden Gloves tournament. I believe it starts at the local levels, then if you win you go onto regionals, and if you win you go onto the national level. Pretty much every single boxer has participated in GG. Also as said it'd help if you could say where you live. For me personally I think it'd be a dream to train at Gleason's in NY. Don't know how nice of a gym it actually is but I love Tyson and that's where he trained.

Comment

Boxinggyms.com

Boxing isn't ran through schools. Some schools may provide a boxing program, but the schools themselves are not who sanctions matches. You have to train first, because from what you stated, you're not too knowledgeable about amateur boxing at all. You can't just start and compete. It's not like your conventional organized sports that you may be used to in school.

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
        Look into Golden Gloves. Every year there is the Golden Gloves tournament. I believe it starts at the local levels, then if you win you go onto regionals, and if you win you go onto the national level. Pretty much every single boxer has participated in GG. Also as said it'd help if you could say where you live. For me personally I think it'd be a dream to train at Gleason's in NY. Don't know how nice of a gym it actually is but I love Tyson and that's where he trained.
        You have to qualify to get into the GG's. You won't have much luck if you're not a part of a gym and have no fights to your name. And for the record, Gleason's isn't your conventional gym, either. It's basically for fighters who are already established and are familiar with the game. It's scouting grounds for managers looking for professionals, established amateurs, and a sparring haven for professionals. You wouldn't go there to begin to learn boxing.

Comment

My son is a Amateur boxer... He is 10.. he loss in the jr golden glove finals this year... The kids your age will probably have 80 to 100 fights... You should find a local gym, train, spar, and than compete in a smoker ( local boxing match) Im not saying you can't fight. but once a week some parent comes to the gym talkin bout how they kid is ready and beats everybody up.. that same kid cant last 1 round with a kid who knows what they are doing in the ring...... Gleasons gym is the ****

Comment

No gleasons is not the gym for beginners

Comment

I learned in the army, Ft. Sill, but was already 19 when I started to learn the fundamentals, but only ever trained, never went into GG or anything..went to college and partied after the Army. Grew up on SS of Chicago and there were some local gyms where kids your age went to learn. i'd start there.

Comment

Before you fight you will have to get your book... USA boxing.com try to find a gym near you

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter Maximus View Post
                  I learned in the army, Ft. Sill, but was already 19 when I started to learn the fundamentals, but only ever trained, never went into GG or anything..went to college and partied after the Army. Grew up on SS of Chicago and there were some local gyms where kids your age went to learn. i'd start there.
                  Ahh, the Army is also a terrible place to learn... Unless you're at Ft. Carson, which is where one of the recurring Olympic coaches trains boxers. But that's only for soldiers in the World Class Athlete program pretty much. I was at Ft. Sam and the Air Force team held a promotion against a bunch of Jesse Leija's fighters (he has a couple gyms in SA) and Air Force was total trash. Only 1 of the 10 fighters had won. Never trust military combatives is what I'm getting at (not insulting your skill level, because I haven't seen it). But of all branches, Army has the best boxing programs by far.

By the way, I'm a 68WM6 currently at Ft. Gordon, GA.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                    Ahh, the Army is also a terrible place to learn... Unless you're at Ft. Carson, which is where one of the recurring Olympic coaches trains boxers. But that's only for soldiers in the World Class Athlete program pretty much. I was at Ft. Sam and the Air Force team held a promotion against a bunch of Jesse Leija's fighters (he has a couple gyms in SA) and Air Force was total trash. Only 1 of the 10 fighters had won. Never trust military combatives is what I'm getting at (not insulting your skill level, because I haven't seen it). But of all branches, Army has the best boxing programs by far.

By the way, I'm a 68WM6 currently at Ft. Gordon, GA.
                    Oh no, I was by no means that great of a skill level, and I know from friends who are actually good and train in proper gyms, but still it was a allot of fun, got great exercise and learned the fundamentalsm of a sport I always have and still loved. obviously from being at Ft. Sill I started off in artillery, 13B SP 109s, but ended my stint as an E5 in 11C.

Comment

Working...
                    X