No announcement yet.

Dana White: “You Perform Or You Go Away”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
    Regardless of how you feel about wrestlers and regardless of how entertaining they are, they are performing.

Standing around hunched over like James Toney for 3 rounds and not doing anything is not performing.
    I don't see the difference between standing on your feet and doing nothing or laying on the ground and doing nothing....

PS I'm a wrestler....

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Quick question on that. Soccer uses yellow cards right? Like, a yellow card means a warning and then if there was another infraction or too many, there would be a red card and a player would get ejected. So, did Pride ever use red cards to DQ anyone? Was that ever a rule there? Sorry, haven't watched much Pride yet. I do plan on it though, when I finish going through some other fights first.

no, they would fine you the 10% amount for everytime the yellow card was pulled out on you. 1 yellow card in Pride wasn't a warning, it was a deduction of 10% no matter what

If it happened again, then that'd be another 10% coming off your final pay, and so on and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
        I don't see the difference between standing on your feet and doing nothing or laying on the ground and doing nothing....

PS I'm a wrestler....
        Well in order to lay on someone, you have to get them down first...

In any event, there are very few lnp wrestlers in the UFC. In fact I can really only think of one and that would be Jon Fitch, and he isn't getting a title shot.

The point is standing on your feet and doing what Gerald Harris does, doesn't compare to what Jon Fitch does.

John Fitch will throw a few punches, clinch, throw a few punches and then drag the fight to the ground and throw a few punches.

Gerald Harris just stands there.

Can you not see the difference?

Wrestling is 100% about position and control, so in a sense you can't say that they aren't "performing" or doing what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
          This would work if the UFC did what Pride used to do. PRIDE was different in that they didn't do win bonuses, just flat fees except for their tournaments. So if you agreed to fight for $50,000 and you got yellow carded three times, that'd be 15000 off your final pay check regardless of if you won or lost.

But they do need the yellow card system in the UFC
          Or how about at least warnings for stalling, and then if a fighter keeps doing it, start taking points away, and then if they continue to do it, disqualify them, like they do in boxing for holding.

Comment

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
            Regardless of how you feel about wrestlers and regardless of how entertaining they are, they are performing.

Standing around hunched over like James Toney for 3 rounds and not doing anything is not performing.
            Neither is laying on an opponent, while doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
              Basically like Pride, where individual rounds aren't scored, but the judges pick who they thought won the entire fight based on who caused the most damage.

Lets say fighter-A wins the first 2 rounds. They're close and competitive rounds, but fighter-A won them without too much dispute.

But fighter-B wins the 3rd round in an all out ass whipping. Beating up his opponent to the point where if there was a 4th round, fighter-A probably wouldn't last that round.

The judges would give Fighter-B the win.

The system is still not fool proof all the time and Pride has had some bad decisions as well, but I think it's less controversial than the 10 pt system.
              Sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post

PS I'm a wrestler....
                Really? In high school and college? How'd you do? What level? Like Division 1? Any Olympic aspirations? What is or was your record?

Comment

What Dana really means is that he either likes you as a person or he doesn't. That's the only thing that decides wether he cuts a fighter or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Really? In high school and college? How'd you do? What level? Like Division 1? Any Olympic aspirations? What is or was your record?
                    I wrestled since I was 6 all the way thru highschool, no college, I was decent, not the best, not the worst. Now I help couch freestyle in my spare time...

Comment

fair policy imo

Comment

Working...
                      X