No announcement yet.

gaining muscle but not losing speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaining muscle but not losing speed

wasup yall, ive been noticing that my arms been getting smaller since i been losing weight.. this summer i went from 210 to 178 i reached my summer goal and now am a 6'2 lightheavyweight.. i really wana gain a lil more bulk on my arms without losing tone or speed.. is that possible at all?

chris

who said ull lose speed if u gain a bit of muscle? dats bull. even if ur 50kg and go up 30kg, ull have around same speed as naural 80kg guys or even faster depending on how fast u are now, look at holyfield

Comment

True, gaining muscle can make you faster or as fast as you were before, bt this does not apply to every1.

Comment

you could prolly do push ups everyday im sure if you work hard and do them at least 5 times a week your arms will be more define and get a lil bigger,i know mine are

Comment

oh okay, cause my trainer [like many boxing trainers] believe that lifting heavy weights loses speed .. my arms are pretty toned and defined.. i just want more bulk on it.. know what i mean?

Comment

sorry,only way way i know is to do weights.even then i think you would have to eat more protein to get bigger.using your own body weight exercises(pushups/pull ups)will tone and strenghten your arms but i dont think it will put too much mass on them.

Comment

Punching alot will also add muscle, it will just take alot longer than with weights.

However there is no reason you can't do both

Comment

explosive weights.

Comment

if u already fast and ur pretty flexible person, ur all good. if ur stiff and slow then u have nuthin to lose by gaining mass, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by eil3m3nt
                    oh okay, cause my trainer [like many boxing trainers] believe that lifting heavy weights loses speed .. my arms are pretty toned and defined.. i just want more bulk on it.. know what i mean?

Can be very true if you don't do proper weight lifting. In general weight lifting and boxing don't mix well. Bulking up can slow you down and cause other problems. This is due to isolated movements and isolated focus of individual muscle groups in weight lifting.

Making the biceps bigger can slow down your jab and right cross. Growth in the bicep needs to be matched specifically with growth with the tricep. you should also match growth in deltoids and upper back area. If you are unbalanced in muscle growth it can result in being more prone to injury because the strength in the muscles are not even or slow down the punch or even remove power.

You want to do compound movements or lifts that focus on movements of several muscle groups or those mimicing movements in boxing. Isometric workouts focuses on alot of compound movements.

If you have no clue what I said or can't name five compound weight lifting movements then you shouldn't think about getting bigger biceps. You don't have the proper knowledge or experience to lift weights properly without some advice

Otherwise do alot of pullups. Build strength in the arms, upper back and shoulders. They wont get as big but atleast you can rips a person's arms off.
                    Last edited by ricecrispi; 08-08-2005, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X