Clear All

• The Shoulder Roll in 1907

Joe Gans OG

Loved the lil Nas quote u threw in there lol

dope video, i've never hearda dude before

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
      Joe Gans OG
      I find it amusing the people who thought the shoulder roll was technique. More stuff has been forgotten than invented in the last 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
        Loved the lil Nas quote u threw in there lol

dope video, i've never hearda dude before
        Gans is arguably the greatest lightweight ever. Interchangeable with B. Leonard and Duran in my opinion.

Comment

Not to hate on the thread concept, but I don't think the example posted is really a shoulder roll. It looks like more of a dodge, dipping the body and head away to avoid the punch, then countering.
          Last edited by Miburo; 03-20-2013, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Gans is arguably the greatest lightweight ever. Interchangeable with B. Leonard and Duran in my opinion.
            I share the same opinion, and wouldn't argue with any order.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
              Not to hate on the thread concept, but I don't think the example posted is really a shoulder roll. It looks like more of a dodge, dipping the body and head away to avoid the punch, then countering.
              I agree.

A better or more accurate example of the "Shoulder roll" that fighters tend to use today that's associated with Mayweather shoulder roll would be George Benton.

Comment

Here are some other early examples

Earliest that comes to mind is Willie Pep.

Comment

Point thats made is that Mayweather invented nothing! Also that boxing has evolved so much from the past greats just gets ridiculous at times! Pep, Leonard, Gans etc. are alone in the techniques. Theres no one today thats even close to them!
                  The so-called great fighter of today would barely make the overall top twenty-five in their respected divisions.
                  Imagine Broner in with Ike Williams or Gans? Mayweather in with Sugarman or Armstrong, he'd be brutally KO'd! Klitz in with Dempsey or Louis would be blown out in 5 to 7 rounds!
                  Its funny that the men that are considered the best by poeople who are in the boxing business all are from era's gone by. None of the fighters from the past 25 years are in the top five of their divisions!!!
                  Its part of the reason that boxing isn't a main stream sport anymore! Ray.

Comment

Dempsey knock out the Klitschkos lol

Is this the same Dempsey who got multiple gift draws against bums with losing records & got knocked out cold by Fireman Jim Flynn?
                    Same Dempsey who wouldn't even be a journeyman in todays light heavyweight division.

I find it funny how Dempsey is always put at the top of these ATG lists and is listed as one of the best ever. Who the hell did he even beat? Who did Dempsey ever beat but two decent light heavyweights?
                    What great heavyweight did he supposedly beat? Jess Willard? That guy was about as athletic as sack of spuds.

Just a case of because some idiotic 'historian' claiming he was one of the best ever a flock of sheep follow.

Love NSB any fighter who fights today is rubbish and anyone who has footage of them fighting on some grainy B&W film is a boxing god.

Dempsey gets creamed by todays cruiserweights nevermind the Klitschko's who would swat him like a fly.

I respect him for being an early pioneer but the guy couldn't knockout either of the brothers armed with a 25lb sledgehammer.
                    Last edited by dan_cov; 03-20-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X