Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto threw and landed a healthy amount of power punches in the 9th, so calm down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto threw and landed a healthy amount of power punches in the 9th, so calm down

This idea that Cotto was gassing out and Margarito was "wearing him down" is rediculous. He threw more 14 more power punches in the 9th than he did in the 8th(31 in rd 8, 45 in rd 9) and landed 23. You can't say he was "gassing out" and Tony was wearing him down. If anything Cotto started to push Tony back a little bit that round and one could argue Margarito was starting to look out of his element as they approached the championship rounds. Now nothing is certain in boxing, but Cotto looked a helluva lot closer to a victory in this round 9 than Margs did, so please stop claiming to be psychics who knew a Marg KO was just around the corner. You're making yourselves look pretty rediculous.

The guy's eye was completely shut, and the doctor needed to protect him from his own stupidity. If he's able to still see 20 years from now it's probably due to the fact that a good doctor knew that his eye didn't need to take any more abuse than it already had.

I don't use compubox, because it's a joke.

But...... Cotto was definitely landing good hard shots in the 9th. I thought it was one of his better rds. Probably since Marg couldn't see anything.

Comment

quality post....51% of his power shots landed in the 9th round ...thats not slowing down if anything he was sitting down in front of Margo and really putting more into his shots then he had all night....Margo was getting wrecked with clean left hands....

Comment

Well we wont know so it deosnt make sense to argue but let me just say!
        Cotto responds to margarito! If margarito puts on more pressure after round and round cotto would naturally try to hold him off by throwing more punches!
        I cant help it but to think taht round 9 might have been a turning point in the fight! After margarito came back to his corner he motions to garcia with his hand like cotto is done, taht he doesnt want no more! So he got some nice energy boost! These last 3 rounds would have been the toughest i think its fair to say! but lets not argue cause we will never ever know!

Comment

Originally posted by dc6112 View Post
          This idea that Cotto was gassing out and Margarito was "wearing him down" is rediculous. He threw more 14 more power punches in the 9th than he did in the 8th(31 in rd 8, 45 in rd 9) and landed 23. You can't say he was "gassing out" and Tony was wearing him down. If anything Cotto started to push Tony back a little bit that round and one could argue Margarito was starting to look out of his element as they approached the championship rounds. Now nothing is certain in boxing, but Cotto looked a helluva lot closer to a victory in this round 9 than Margs did, so please stop claiming to be psychics who knew a Marg KO was just around the corner. You're making yourselves look pretty rediculous.

The guy's eye was completely shut, and the doctor needed to protect him from his own stupidity. If he's able to still see 20 years from now it's probably due to the fact that a good doctor knew that his eye didn't need to take any more abuse than it already had.

I completely agree; this is what I said earlier.

If anything, Cotto was showing signs of gassing around the 6th, 7th round. From there, I thought Cotto got his 2nd wind and looked like a fresh fighter for the rest of the fight.

Marg had his spots where he landed some punches, but I thought that's as far as it went. Margarito's right eye was completely closed and Cotto was landing his jab and left hook at will; he was pushing Marg back, trapping him against the ropes, and landing solid punches.

Yes, Marg was still coming forward as he was the entire fight. That still didn't mean he was walking Cotto down or Cotto was tiring. I thought Cotto could've done what he did for maybe 14 rounds. I feel the only time Cotto clinched was to stop Marg's momentum from punches, not because he was fatigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayehammer View Post
            Well we wont know so it deosnt make sense to argue but let me just say!
            Cotto responds to margarito! If margarito puts on more pressure after round and round cotto would naturally try to hold him off by throwing more punches!
            I cant help it but to think taht round 9 might have been a turning point in the fight! After margarito came back to his corner he motions to garcia with his hand like cotto is done, taht he doesnt want no more! So he got some nice energy boost! These last 3 rounds would have been the toughest i think its fair to say! but lets not argue cause we will never ever know!
            I'm sorry but you're making a huge assumption in saying that margarito's hand gesture meant that cotto was done in his opinion, and also who cares what margarito "thought". The fight itself tells the real story, and cotto looked to be just as alert and active in the 9th round as he had been in the few previous rounds.

Comment

Tony had him on the ropes at the end of the round and nailed him with a long right and an uppercut. Cotto was hanging on.

Then they stop the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by dc6112 View Post
                I'm sorry but you're making a huge assumption in saying that margarito's hand gesture meant that cotto was done in his opinion, and also who cares what margarito "thought". The fight itself tells the real story, and cotto looked to be just as alert and active in the 9th round as he had been in the few previous rounds.
                Notice how heavy cotto was breathing before the 10 round?
                I thought margarito had him in a good place! i dont know how he did it but cottos was feeling the pace more than margarito

Comment

At the end of round 9 Cotto was able to continue and marg wasn't end of - if you disagree just ask the doctor.

Comment

I'm starting to wish they allowed it to go on for another round, just so we wouldn't have to read this stuff.

Cotto won the 9th clearly and looked the sharper fighter, Margarito was starting to stumble physically and did not look anything like he was about to re-enact 2008, it was getting cruel, the doctor made the right call.

Comment

Working...
                    X