Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for maximum hand protection, how do you wrap your hands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for maximum hand protection, how do you wrap your hands?

i've had problems with the knuckles in my right hand since i was younger.. i've been trying different things: i've tried the ringside gel shock glove wraps but they take up too much space in my glove to the point where my hands get numb after a while. do the knuckle guards help? i was thinking of getting the extra long mexican style handwraps and just wrapping around my knuckles a bit more.. what do you guys do? if it helps, i train in the reyes heavy bag gloves.. please help out a fellow boxer!

You can buy knuckle guards, but for a cheaper solution:

cut in half and placed over your knuckles, then wrap your hands using this method to keep it all secured in place.

http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/wraps...kles/index.htm

I do it with 180" handwraps. Depending on the size of your hand/wrist you may want to get even longer ones so you can go over the knuckles even more. Grant makes 200" ones available on Ringside.

Comment

Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Wear two sets of standard wraps on one hand. Alot of pro's do that and it supports your wrist too. I wrap a little around half my fingers as when I put the glove on, it does roll backa bit.

Comment

i usually use some Gauss and make it into a pad and use adhesive tape to secure it. wrapping hands good is a plus.

Comment

1) Use 180 inch wraps, these are longer are therefore you have more protection. Make sure you cover your knuckles with a decent few layers. Could also try different more complex methods like the "ribbon method" which offers alot of knuckle protection.

2) Buy good hand wraps, when I first started boxing I bought some £3 hand wraps because I didn't know anything about them, I found I was grazing and cutting into my knuckles, obviously they wouldn't heal because I was re-opening it and making it worse every time I trained. So, buy some good wraps.

3) Make sure you have good gloves, poor quality gloves may have padding but if the padding isn't good quality foam it doesn't do a great deal because the impact condenses it so much that your knuckle basically goes through anyway, the foam should be absorbing the shock.

4) Links on with 3, if you've got good gloves make sure they're not 'dead'. I have this problem now, my right hand glove is 'dead', basically means I need new ones because i've punched the foam down and weakened it.

If none of that works then there it's simply down to "bad knuckles" which I hear said every so often, I don't know a great deal about it so I can't explain the biology behind it but I guess some people's knuckles are more prone to injury than others.

On top of that, sometimes you will just hurt your knuckles, I wore 180 inch good quality elasticated wraps with a lot of knuckle protection with 14 oz. sparring gloves to work on the bags and I ended up gently bruising my knuckles. The type of bag you use also matters, on Monday I was using the Maize Bag alot which is a very heavy solid bag.

Comment

Working...
            X