Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increasing Stamina. What am I doing wrong??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Stamina. What am I doing wrong??

So I was sparring today for 3 rounds, and I was a little aggressive in the first 2 rounds, and by 3rd round I was dead ass tired. I couldn't even put my hands up and block punches. I run 5 times a week and I try to eat the right foods such bananas and proteins such as eggs. I also spar when I get the chance to. I work night shifts so my schedule doesn't really co-mingle with other peoples schedule, so on my days off (2 times a week) I try to get some sparring in. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to spar more? I'm 5'3 128 lbs (yes I'm pretty small). So I feel like I have to be moving around more than my opponent and it tires me out too quickly.

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
    So I was sparring today for 3 rounds, and I was a little aggressive in the first 2 rounds, and by 3rd round I was dead ass tired. I couldn't even put my hands up and block punches. I run 5 times a week and I try to eat the right foods such bananas and proteins such as eggs. I also spar when I get the chance to. I work night shifts so my schedule doesn't really co-mingle with other peoples schedule, so on my days off (2 times a week) I try to get some sparring in. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to spar more? I'm 5'3 128 lbs (yes I'm pretty small). So I feel like I have to be moving around more than my opponent and it tires me out too quickly.
    maybe u were just having an off day bro?

Or maybe u need to mix up ur training a little. not running always, but more diverse... maybe swimming. also, u do alot of heavybagging,double-end bagging, and speed bagging right?

Comment

People don't realise how much fitness fighting takes.

I get more tired from 3, 2 minute rounds of sparring, than 90 minutes of soccer.

Comment

I never really have an issue with stamina until a fair few hard rounds. The way to get past it is the slow boring long jogs.

Comment

you need to mix up your cardio work outs, run swim bike row crosstrainer

hit it hard for about 20 mins rather than a slow 40 minute workout

Comment

I've found the long runs do nothing for me (only 7 miles mind).
            Something that I did notice help my stamina was hill sprints!
            Run 3 miles, 4x 200metre hill sprints, 3 miles back.
            Noticed the increase in no time at all.

Mix that in with cycling and swimming (as well as the boxing of course) and it should help

Comment

fighting a larger opponent is much more work

hitting him and moving his head around is more work
              getting where you need to be and away from where you don't want to be is more work
              you're fighting an uphill battle if the guys are much bigger than you are

you might find yourself having a much easier time fighting guys your size now that you have so much experience fighting guys who are larger

also, were you pacing yourself as well as you could?
              or were you going too hard when you didn't need to be
              or making two or three moves or steps when you only need one, etc?

you sound like you're doing the right things, bro keep up the good work

Comment

its probably more of a relaxation issue than any kind of stamina issue.

relax, control your breathing, dont make a bunch of stupid ass energy wasting moves like bouncing around on your feet. everything you do wastes energy, and not everyone can jump around like RJJ. relax, breath through the nose, and dont get so worried about it

the only way i have found to increase your stamina in sparring is by sparring. you can do all the sprints and runs you want, but unless your calm cool and collected in there your going to wear yourself out just with stress and being all tensed up

Comment

Make sure you're doing your running, and Also your sprints, sprints are the ones thats really going to get you dogged out as far as being tired and pushed...

because think about it you can probably to a light jog for 40 minutes straight , or even a little more.....but you damn sure cant do a all out Sprint for 40 Minutes....

i Like Distance running because it builds the strength in your lower half and u do get to a point where u gotta push yourself...but Sprints are just as important if not more in my opinion.

you gotta open up those lungs and take your body a place it's never been before.

i know some people who can do a bunch of miles running but cant get to round 3 or 4 , because of the pace your jogging ...

you're involved in a intense sport so you wanna train by doing a lot of intense drills, def. keep doing your long distance running, but once i started doing my sprints it exposed that part about me...

Comment

First of all your training doesn't match your end purpose. If you practice with bad form you'll be great at having bad form. Same could be said about training. If you train for duration and low intensity performance you'll be great when activities call for long low intensity sessions but not so much for explosive requirements. Continue the running but you have to add training that specifically addresses your needs.

Diet plays a big role and you didn't really go into that. You mentioned bananas and protein but you want to make sure you're also including low glycemic carbs (oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potato) in your meals prior to your sessions. Healthy fats (walnuts, avocado, fish oil) with your meals are also key. Have a mini pre sparring/workout meal about 30-60 minutes beforehand (everyone has a different tolerance so you'll have to experiment with the timing) This meal should include high glycemic carbs (bananas, cantaloupe, raisins) with a 2:1 carbs to protein ratio. An example would be yogurt (no fruit or added sugar) and a banana.

I'm training three different people right now who needed to quickly improve explosiveness and endurance. A small and very simple segment of our training session alone will help you immensely and quickly. I use powerlifting bands and sleds in this workout but I'll adjust it to no equipment ;

1. Make sure you warm up entire body beforehand (if you stretch don't stretch before your warmup - i see people do this all the time). You should have a light sweat going.

2. Every move must be performed at 90% of your ability. That means FAST but not in a hurry. In other words PROPER FORM is never sacrificed.

3. You'll need a timer - your phone (timer app) or a watch with a second hand. STAY TRUE TO THE TIMER. People try to cheat with the timer every time.

K here it is;
                    • 3-5 Plyo pushups followed immediately with 20 seconds of burpees (no jump).
                    • 10 second rest.
                    • 3-5 Plyo pushups followed immediately with 20 seconds of high knees
                    • 10 second rest.
                    • 3-5 plyo pushups followed immediately with 20 seconds squat jumps
                    • 10 second rest.
                    • 3-5 plyo pushups followed immediately with 20 seconds mountain climbers
                    • 10 second rest.
                    • 3 minute LOW intensity jogg or walk if needed and repeat above. cool down 5 min. Done.

You can add a third series through the workout when your endurance improves or you can increase the rest period to 20 second if needed until you improve.

Comment

Working...
                    X