Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobing And Weaving?

Im 16 and about 6''1 or 6''2

i would love to learn bobbing and weaving to add to my boxing,

however i know that im tall, and it may not suit me and people say you gotta be short to bob and weave,

any tall boxers bob an weave?????????

what can be practiced??

If you'r oppenents are taller then you its good, if not you'r screwed.

Comment

No you don't have to be short but you have to be quick. Slipping shots, ducking and weaving is usually more of an in-fighter thing because that's how they avoid the shots rather than a good reactive defence, a reason why the peek-a-boo style was worked. That style of defence isn't the best for catching, parrying or blocking shots because it's an awkward movement but it makes you compact and constantly ready. In-fighters are usually the shorter stockier boxers of the weight class who need use the in-fighting to get inside the opposition's defence rather than try and break it, their shorter but bigger arms mean they lose reach but tend to be better at short powershots like the left hook or uppercut because of the physics of their pivot point (elbow) meaning they can throw a more powerful inside shot than a taller longer armed individual. That's why people say you have to be shorter rather than taller.

At the end of the day though, an out-fighter etc. can also bob and weave so long as their maintain their distance and don't get caught by an infighter, in an infighting position because of it. If I swing a punch at you, you can do what the hell you want to do to not get hit, but I would say that if you were fighting somebody significantly shorter than you ducking etc. may kind of mean you end up sticking your head better into shot for them. I'm 6ft and I prefer to slip shots.

I haven't tried this yet because i'm not at home but as far as I know Tyson, obviously one of the best for doing such a technique, trained by having a small bag of sand (use a sock etc.) and then attach it, via a reasonably long string, to your ceiling, have it around head height, get it moving and then avoid it. I guess you could have more than one of them. Say one at headheight, another at shoulder etc. allowing for you to practice slipping all kinds of shots.

Comment

damnnnnn ur talll!!!!!

Comment

Foreman was completely against a tall guy using head movement; he relied on parrying and yah, he took some flak for it.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for, when you're the taller guy but still trying to bob & weave, is elbows. Shorter guys will clip you in the back of the skull with their elbows, sometimes even without trying (though in my experience, they do try).
          Probably just better to lean back for head movement if you're the taller guy.
          For in fighting- just make sure you keep your elbows real tight & take up the space in the middle- you'd be amazed at what a lanky guy can do on the inside just by getting good position.

Comment

don't lean back. if you don't believe look at dan judahs last fight or rjs knockdown of toney

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
              don't lean back. if you don't believe look at dan judahs last fight or rjs knockdown of toney
              I meant more of leaning back in a crouch, kind of at an angle instead of a straight lean back.
              Leaning straight back is a good way to get KOed, you're right.
              Lateral movement & slipping to the outside might be a better answer.
              I just meant that I have bad experiences bobbing & weaving under punches by shorter guys.

Comment

im tall aswell. i find that on the defensive i like to use an olympic style stance to parry and keep my opponent further than arm's reach. do some weaving for the mid-range shots, but dont get down too low unless you plan to counter to the body. i find that against shorter guys, i slip the straight right from them to the left, get under the arm and throw a left hook to the body. this sort of slip and counter technique is good for taller rangey fighters. on the inside i wouldnt bother. its best to cover up and and work angles, rather than bob and weave

Comment

Working...
                X