Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assess cotto's performance....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

154 is just not Cotto's place. He's too small. He's only fought one natural 154 lber, and that's Foreman, who isn't much anyway. His only success at 154 was against guys who came from the same divisions he started at. He made a career on being the physically superior fighter, and that's what triggers his success against opponents. I don't believe his power has carried up in weight the way he needed it to to be Cotto. I called this fight exactly how it ended up playing out, granted I think the fight was much closer than others are saying.

Comment

i thought cotto fought a great fight. he was just in there with a very good young fighter who was hungry for the win and fought a slightly better fight. cotto should have gon to the body earlier, other than that im not sure what he could have done diffrent.

his defense was excellent, he was throwing combinations, using his jab to get inside well considering what was in front of him. trout just wouldnt be denied. his size, youth, skills and hunger was too much for miguel to overcome.

Comment

His stamina still sucks. I thought his stamina would improve with training in Big Bear and not having to cut too much weight(I'm assuming he's no cutting too much weight because he looks small for 154), but nope. It still sucks.

I think we also saw he just can't compete with a true 154 world class fighter. If you look at his run at 154, it's not very impressive. Almost all the fighters before Trout were blown up Welterweights.

Comment

Originally posted by mannyman View Post
          I just think Cotto had it all stacked against him. Trout was just too good stylistically, he was busier, faster, slicker and stronger. Cotto wasn't able to get past Trouts jab and when he did get inside Trout tied him up or actually overpowered him.

Having said that Cotto looked slow and slugish, he didn't have any snap in his punches either.

I think he needs to go back down to 147 or retire. He gets Margaritoed if he fights Canelo and I don't wanna see Cotto as a stepping stone.
          Agree with this completely.

Comment

Cotto is notorious for fading and has been a super welter for about 2.5 years. I don't think moving back down a weight division is going to do his stamina any favors. Besides, doesn't he like to drink and chubby up between fights?

He can definitely beat someone like Bundrage and Kirkland. Alvarez, Molina, and Lara are all fighters he stands a chance against.

Comment

Why are you blaming Cotto's trainer? Why? Cotto lost to a superior fighter last night, Trout could well go on to do big things which would make this win make more sense, I think people need to relax and take this in later.

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
                Cotto still has alot left in the tank, specifically in the 147 lb division. Last night wasnt a matter of cotto being too old, too tentative to pull the trigger, etc but he just fought a much bigger, slicker guy. Trout fought a great fight, and came out with the w.

He can beat anybody in the 147 lb divison. Id favor cotto to beat guerrero, marquez, even pacquaio, but would favor mayweather over him, with that said cotto would still give mayweather a run for his money, again. Hes far from done, still has gas in the tank and can do great things for his legend.
                He's been to the mountain top. I dont call it a lot in the tank when people are talking about him fighting K-9 and fukin Kirkland. History tells us that if fighters dont adhere to the signs early they always go 1 or ten fights too many. Cotto is done on that level. And I did see points when he couldnt pull the trigger. He got arm weary in the championship rounds. His family is laboring emotionally at every fight. I think Canelo would end him mentally. Im a fan of Cotto that cares. The chances are slim that it will be a glorious "Legendary Nights" episode. The percentage is high that it will be a sad "Beyond the Glory" story.

Morales is the first boxer I got to see go through the whole process and its pathetic. I got to see most of Holyfield's rise and demise. Its the same process Cotto is dealing with. Holy and Morales were fortunate enough to be in pretty shabby divisions where they could pick and choose "winnable" fights. Cotto is in a division that is dangerous to his health. Even the 10th best guy can really bang.

Comment

I hated that looping left hook he kept throwing, it wasn't landing very much and Trout countered him on it a LOT. Quit throwing his jab which he always does. Then he once again got tired when the fight got close in the late rounds. I commend him for choosing Trout when he didn't have to, but I think maybe he needs to look towards WW or agree to Pac's CW demand, if that fight is ever offered again.

Comment

Originally posted by mannyman View Post
                    I just think Cotto had it all stacked against him. Trout was just too good stylistically, he was busier, faster, slicker and stronger. Cotto wasn't able to get past Trouts jab and when he did get inside Trout tied him up or actually overpowered him.

Having said that Cotto looked slow and slugish, he didn't have any snap in his punches either.

I think he needs to go back down to 147 or retire. He gets Margaritoed if he fights Canelo and I don't wanna see Cotto as a stepping stone.
                    Cotto got sluggish after the 5th because Trout smothered him and tired him big time. He ran out of steam earlier than ever before because he pressed the action the first few rounds and Trout would tangle and smother whenever he got close. Excellent strategy by Austin. He won fair and square. Kudos to Trout he needs to be the man who gets Canelo he deserves it.

Comment

Gotta love the Cottards. First Pac tried to drain Cotto for fighting at a CW @ 150...a catch weight you guys were approving with Margarito and now that he lost he should go back to WW. You guys contradict yourselves so much it's hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                      X