Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Roberto Duran have beaten Tommy Hearns in a rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Roberto Duran have beaten Tommy Hearns in a rematch?

You know, made the necessary adjustments?

or do u think Hearns was just a case of a bad style match up for him and a win over such fighter was never really possible?

I doubt it. He might have done better but Hearns was a bad matchup for him.
    Strange but he did beat Barkley who was about as tall as Hearns and was a hard puncher. But Hearns had a different style.

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post

or do u think Hearns was just a case of a bad style match up for him and a win over such fighter was never really possible?
      I'm curious to know what makes you think that Duran could make the 'necessary adjustments'?

IMO Hearns wins this matchup 10 times out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        I'm curious to know what makes you think that Duran could make the 'necessary adjustments'?

IMO Hearns wins this matchup 10 times out of 10.
        i am of the same opinion.. Hearns wins every time

Comment

This is just a bad styles matchup for Duran, Hearns beats him every time.

Comment

All a matter of how you are able to handle certain types of fighters.

For 39 rounds, Ali could never really get the better of Ken Norton - yet Foreman walked right through him (and would probably have done so 10 out of 10 times)!

Same with Hearns and Duran... Hearns by ko every time.

Comment

Sure, if the adjustment is slip Hearns a couple of roofies before the fight begins.

As great as Duran looked in some of his WW fights pre-New Orleans, I'm far from confident he beats Hearns at WW either.

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post

In the history of boxing, how often did a man who got totally annihilated in two rounds or less win the rematch? Only chance Duran had of beating Hearns was if they allowed him to fight with a weapon. If they fight 10 times, Hearns knocks him out ten times.

Comment

You could never say that Duran wouldn't have had a puncher's chance in the return. Tommy could be vulnerable.

Also, Duran's chin was normally so good. Nobody was predicting an early Hearns KO at the time.

If there had been a rematch, and Duran had really committed himself in training I think he may well have got into the late rounds. Hell, he survived well against Hagler. If I'm honest though I couldn't see Hearns losing....too fast, too powerful and with too long a reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    You could never say that Duran wouldn't have had a puncher's chance in the return. Tommy could be vulnerable.

Also, Duran's chin was normally so good. Nobody was predicting an early Hearns KO at the time.

If there had been a rematch, and Duran had really committed himself in training I think he may well have got into the late rounds. Hell, he survived well against Hagler. If I'm honest though I couldn't see Hearns losing....too fast, too powerful and with too long a reach.
                    This is pretty much my take on it, bad match up for Duran and you would have to favour Hearns in any re-match.
                    That said, it would have been nice to have seen Duran in better nick for the fight to see for sure.
                    A well conditioned committed Duran should not be taken lightly, he could brawl with Hagler, knock Leonard out of his stride and stand up to Barklay's bombs so only a fool would write him off.

Comment

Working...
                    X