Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are certain members demanding Floyd fight all these 154/160 lbs fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are certain members demanding Floyd fight all these 154/160 lbs fighters?

Its time for the man to retire permanently. While he can have 2-3 more fights and make a ton of money, I do not see any fights out there that are going to enhance his legacy any further. The one fight (Pacman) that made sense now seems to be completely dead. Do we really want to see all these legends succumbing to old age and getting knocked out brutally(Jones, Manny, Morlaes to name a few)?

Floyd is a 147lbs fighter, a weight he makes comfortably without cutting weight. His only two appearances above this weight he has weighed 150lbs and 151 lbs respectively. Just because people may deem that there is insufficient talent below 154lbs, does not mean he should jump to a 6th weight class.

While he has won both fights in the junior middleweight division in which he has competed in to date, his performances in both bouts were not his best indicating to me that he should revert to fighting at welterweight.

If a fight with Martinez was made, it would be at 154lbs. If Floyd was to win that bout, the usual critics will suggest Martinez was weight drained (which may valid), and therefore gets no credit for it.

There are weight divisions in boxing for a reason. Having said the above I have no desire for a Mayweather v Marquez 2 as the fight was so one sided the first time I cannot see any other outcome the second time round.

While I will watch Mayweather v Guerrero, I have no real interest in the bout. If Guerrero wins it will not be because of his supernatural ability, but that Floyds skills have declined, just like any fighters does once they begin to get closer to 40. If Floyd wins, the haters will say it was because Guerrero was coming up in weight.

In summary, although I still think they are amongst the worlds best and still have alot to offer, maybe boxing would be better off if both Manny and Floyd retired. It might give the likes of Brandon Rios, Gamboa, Alvarez, Andre Ward to cement themselves as the new faces of boxing and their are so many interesting bouts out there for all of these guys.

BTW I only post in this forum once or twice a year but I felt compelled to do so

To answer your question, there are those who despise the man and want to see his 0 go no matter how unfair his disadvantages will be.

Comment

This is another thread confirming the strongly held and widely held opinion Floyd is a cherry picker.

He didnt perform that well at 154 so should stay at 147? I dont understand this way of thinking. Its like saying dont take any risks floyd if you want to keep your zero.

Im sure JMM fights better around 135 or 140 than 147, but its a case of challenging yourself and going places that are risky and out of your comfort zone, not staying in your comfort zone like Floyd has done all his career just about.

Floyd dont fight much, so its even more important he takes risky fights and serious challenges everytime he gets in the ring, rather than fight Pacs leftovers, but at 154, as if 154 is supposed to erase all critism for Floyd. Fighting Pacs leftovers but at 154?
      Floyd lost out on FOTD with his do just as much as he can possibly get away with attitude, dont he and his fans learn>

Comment

He's a 2x 154 champ that's currently ranked #1 at 154 everywhere. Are you saying the belt he's holding is paper?

Comment

Check my thread I made back in October....I predicted the cherry pick for Guerrero just because he was calling out Floyd and was a lightweight coming up to Welter. He never takes a real threats, avoids undefeated fighters, only fights them after someone else has beat them and doesn't he have a belt at 154? Any more questions

Comment

After Manny got KTFO the tards were ready to put Mayweather in with Ward

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              He's a 2x 154 champ that's currently ranked #1 at 154 everywhere. Are you saying the belt he's holding is paper?
              This is why he should fight 154lbers or 160lbers at 154.

Comment

he hold a belt at 154 and the only fighters people are asking for are at 154 so where you get 160 from? Martinez fight will be at 154, canelo at 154, If he didnt want to fight 154 he shouldent have got the belt for play. Time to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                  This is another thread confirming the strongly held and widely held opinion Floyd is a cherry picker.

He didnt perform that well at 154 so should stay at 147? I dont understand this way of thinking. Its like saying dont take any risks floyd if you want to keep your zero.

Im sure JMM fights better around 135 or 140 than 147, but its a case of challenging yourself and going places that are risky and out of your comfort zone, not staying in your comfort zone like Floyd has done all his career just about.

Floyd dont fight much, so its even more important he takes risky fights and serious challenges everytime he gets in the ring, rather than fight Pacs leftovers, but at 154, as if 154 is supposed to erase all critism for Floyd. Fighting Pacs leftovers but at 154?
                  Floyd lost out on FOTD with his do just as much as he can possibly get away with attitude, dont he and his fans learn>
                  I have no interest in engaging in a Floyd v Manny debate: there is a separate forum for that. My thread was about the general state of boxing and the mindset of a group of members on this forum.

I may not agree with your opinion but you are entitled to it.

I could come back at you on so many of the "points" you raised above (the word catchweight comes to mind) but it would be the defeat the purpose of the thread. I was hoping for a more objective response tbh.

Comment

I still think Pac/Floyd is the toughest fight out there for PBF but the fact remains, currently he is a 156 pound fighter, supposedly the number one at the wright, so why should the fans not ask him to fight the likes of Canelo (very winnable) and/or Trout (tougher yet still winnable)?

There was a time when I didn't want to see Martinez v Mayweather and I was pretty mad at Sergio for challenging a WW but then Floyd was in an interview and himself said that he wouldn't mind a Sergio fight and that he only fights the best. If Floyd goes out looking for those fights himself, why should we not ask him to keep his word? After May, there is NOTHING stopping Floyd/Martinez being made. Martinez will take the smaller purse as he has done in the past, doesn't care about testing and is willing to come down to 154. So.....

Comment

Working...
                    X