No announcement yet.

Why did Duran quit against Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Duran quit against Leonard?

I decided to research on Roberto Duran last night when I decided to watch some fights from boxings "golden age"

I went through a couple of fights on youtube, and I found Duran vs. Leonard.

I watched it hoping that I'd see a knock out or a great match but instead I saw Duran quit.

The video did'nt show Durans reason.

I just want to knnow why Duran quit when at that weight all you need is one punch to turn the fight around.

something dodgy was going on in that fight

Comment

The first fight, the one Duran wins by decision, is the classic. There's a real good Ring article on the second, 'no mas' fight, which explains Duran's weight and conditioning problems leading up to the fight.

Comment

Leonard was frustrating him,and making him look back,i think his pride took over and he quit

Leonard really came to life in the 6th round,the rounds before he didnt really punch,he just kept running and circling,but he done some brilliant work after the 6th

Comment

He has claimed severe stomach cramps during the fight(from an Interview of Duran in In this Corner). Although he seldom talks about it or gives his reasons anymore. He had to leave Panama and move to Miami after the fight because the people turned on him.

One plausible explanation is at the time he thought it wasn't a big deal and figured what the hell being frustrated by Leonards showboating. A new Duran Biography has just been released and is a great book and even it gives no valid reasons why he quit.

Comment

the no mas came after he told his corner he does not want to fight this clown anymore. The truth is he ate like a pig before the fight and his stomach was messed up. I honestly feel that this tarnished his legacy TOO much. ONE FIGHT, thats it, can't we make a couple mistakes in life?

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
              the no mas came after he told his corner he does not want to fight this clown anymore. The truth is he ate like a pig before the fight and his stomach was messed up. I honestly feel that this tarnished his legacy TOO much. ONE FIGHT, thats it, can't we make a couple mistakes in life?
              He had two steak and baked potato plates in the hotel. A sorry excuse but still . . .

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                I don't feel it tarnished his legacy with boxing fans. He's ranked higher than Leonard on every all-time p4p list I've ever seen. It's understood that he beat Leonard when it counted, but the American press did have to play up the second fight because Leonard was our crossover star. Boxing writers have been very forgiving of both the 'no mas' and the Hearns knockout.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Finlayson View Post
                  I don't feel it tarnished his legacy with boxing fans. He's ranked higher than Leonard on every all-time p4p list I've ever seen. It's understood that he beat Leonard when it counted, but the American press did have to play up the second fight because Leonard was our crossover star. Boxing writers have been very forgiving of both the 'no mas' and the Hearns knockout.
                  agreed........

Comment

He was being outclassed and quit, he should of tried to low blow leanord like he did Buchanan

Comment

Working...
                    X