Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will anyone have more than 1 great win this year in order to win FoY?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will anyone have more than 1 great win this year in order to win FoY?

2012 is wrapping up and most of the fights for the rest of the year are close to being set. Picking fighter of the year will be tough because I can't really think of anyone that will have more than 1 great win.

Lopez could have won if he beat both Ortiz and Canelo, but he didn't. Garcia could have won if he beat Khan and someone else decent, but he's fighting Morales again. Andre Ward will have only fought once this year and I don't think Dawson at 168 alone cuts it.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Pacquiao might once again deserve the honors if he actually beats Marquez this time. Although he got jobbed against Bradley, it should still count. And with a Marquez win, that's two guys that were considered p4p he beat.

If Marquez beats Pacquiao, that would do it for me even though he didn't beat anyone else of note this year. A Pacquiao win is still huge.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM.

FOTY=Garcia for his Khan ko.........

Comment

Orlando Salido could get if he beats Mikey Garcia and if Geale beats Golovkin (WBA said he has to fight him by December 31), he could win the award. Not sure how likely either of those fights actually end up that way though.

I think Donaire is the most likely to win it if he beats Nishioka (Would have unified with IBF champ Mathebula and beat the man at 122).

Comment

Can't really think of who I'd choose.

I was going to say Mares-Moreno winner but they both fought Agbeko and Darchinyan in late 2011. If they had those wins this year then I'd say definitely the winner of that fight.

I'm not sure at all. Good shout on Salido, if he beats Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          2012 is wrapping up and most of the fights for this year are close to being set. Picking fighter of the year will be tough because I can't really think of anyone that will have more than 1 great win.

Lopez could have won if he beat both Ortiz and Canelo, but he didn't. Garcia could have won if he beat Khan and someone else decent, but he's fighting Morales again. Andre Ward will have only fought once this year and I don't think Dawson at 168 alone cuts it.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Pacquiao might once again deserve the honors if he actually beats Marquez this time. Although he got jobbed against Bradley, it should still count. And with a Marquez win, that's two guys that were considered p4p he beat.

If Marquez beats Pacquiao, that would do it for me even though he didn't beat anyone else of note this year. A Pacquiao win is still huge.
          Pac and JMM already have 36 rounds of experience against each other, they know each other inside and out. Whoever wins doesn't deserve to be FOTY unless it's a dominating win.

Ward is the leading candidate but there are two guys that could surpass him :

-Morales if he beats Garcia
          -Donaire if he "Montiels" Nishioka

Comment

How about Salido? He would have wins against Lopez and García if he takes that fight.

Comment

Lucas Matthysse? Humberto Soto and Ajose Alusegun.

Adrien Broner? Eloy Perez, Vicente Escobedo, and Antonio DeMarco. All three are/were top 10 at their division.

Danny Garcia? Khan and Morales 2x, became 140 Ring champion. Both were top 10.

Orlando Salido as mentioned. Juan Manuel Lopez and Mickey Garcia if he beats him.

Unfortunately Nonito Donaire has a high chance of taking it.

Carl Froch slacked off with Mack. If he had Bute and another top 168 guy, he could have taken it.

Sergio Martinez. Matthew Macklin and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Macklin came off beating Felix Sturm but not getting the decision, therefore not getting the WBA title, but to me he was the 160 WBA champion going in to the Martinez fight. Chavez Jr came off stopping Andy Lee. Sergio has a shot IMO.

A corrupted pick: Saul Canelo Alvarez. Shane Mosley, Josesito Lopez and a third popular opponent this year could see him robbing the FighterOTY award from a more deserving fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
                How about Salido? He would have wins against Lopez and García if he takes that fight.
                Not only just regular wins, upset wins. Remember, he was underdog in the Lopez rematch despite beating him the first time. People thought Lopez would prove it was all a fluke and he just had problems in life that distracted him. That was not the case, Salido repeated the first fight.

Comment

If Froch fought and beat Kessler later this year It would definitely be him. But as he's fighting Mack, you just can't give it to him.

I think if Salido beats Garica he's the obvious choice.

Comment

The thing is Salido already beat Lopez twice so its ehhh. Ward only fought once.

Pac "lost" so theres that.

Donaire is fighting a top dog in the division but his previous performance left a lot to be desired. Stil, Nishioka might be a bit older but hes one of the top dogs there.

Floyd fought once.

Martinez has two great wins, he'll probably get it due to Chavez Jrs hype. The Macklin win was good too though.

Matthysse had some impressive wins, even if Soto was older.

Comment

Working...
                    X