No announcement yet.

New boxer training routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boxer training routine

Well I've just started getting into boxing along with a couple of my friends. I plan to train at my house for around a month before I get into a gym. Im 15 yeards old, 5'6, and around 125 pounds. Im not in that great of shape mainly cardio vascular wise but I plan to change that. I also have basketball practice once a week and games one to two times a week. Well heres my routine let me know what you think.

Training Routine

Do stretching before every work out. Also every night 100 sit-ups ans push-ups. Work outs at the YMCA will happen three times through out the week. On those days I will rotate what I workout between benching routine, biceps routine, and legs routine.

Monday-
    • Jog 15 minutes, walk when needed
    • Jump rope 15 minutes in sets of 5 minutes
    • Shadow boxing 2 rounds of 3 minutes
    • Heavy bag 2 rounds of 3 minutes
    • Shadowboxing 2 rounds of 3 minutes
    • Pads if available

Tuesday-
    • Work out at the YMCA biceps routine
    • Heavy bag for 5 rounds of 3 minutes
    • Pads if available

Wednesday-
    • Pads if available

Thursday-
    • Work out at the YMCA bench.
    • Heavy bag 5 rounds of 3 minutes
    • Pads if available

Friday-

• Work out at the YMCA legs
    • Pads if available

Saturday-
    • Pads if available

Sunday- Rest

Honestly, the only thing you're going to do with the shadow boxing, heavy bag, and mitt work is 1) get your shoulders into shape, which is good, but also, 2) learn bad habits which will be extremely difficult to drop. I'd stick to just getting into shape through running, skipping rope, and body weight exercises.

Edit: Lol, and the YMCA biceps routine.. there are far, far, far more valuable weighted exercises you could do then a bicep routine.

Comment

Ya I was thinking that thing about the punching, dont want to work up any bad habits but I've watched a lot of videos and such and thing I have a good basic idea of the style and everything. Also if your going to critisise the biceps routine you could atleast say something I could use to substitue for it?

Comment

Squats, dead lifts, use the dumbells you would use for your bicep routine for more full body exercises and work your entire arm/chest/back. Honestly, and this in my opinion, squats are one of the best weighted exercises you can do. Most helpful for a boxer, in my opinion. I'm sure you can find a routine somewhere on this forum from someone who is more qualified then me in weights (I do what I am told by my trainer) that works more then your bicep.

Comment

Alright thanks dude I will definetly try those workouts out. Since what you said i think im guna try and get into a gym sooner so I wotn develop any bad techniques. Im just really bad cardio vascular wise with running and dont want to ambarass my self so want to work on that a little on my own before I head to the gym.

Comment

Haha.. good idea. Welcome to boxing!

Comment

Ya thanks haha, and I was wondering do you know if that picture every one has under their name is something you need to buy, and if so how many points it costs?

Comment

looks great, but you should go for a speedbag to build some speed and lose the bicep routine. I know it sucks, but that hurts boxing AND basketball(I played both).

Comment

Ya after what i've heard I will definetly be dropping the bicep routine never realized it hurts basketball too. Im guna have a spped bag at christmas. Im getting one of the dual stands to put the heavy and speed bag on. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Drop the biceps routine that'l do nothing for you
                    Also if your going to lift weights you wanna train your whole body. Stick with Bench,Squats,Deadlifts,Rows,chin ups/pull ups and Military Press. Personaly i wouldnt start hitting a heavy bag without being taught how to do it properly by a trainer souly because i've seen kids just walk in start swinging wildly and hurt their wrists

Comment

Working...
                    X