No announcement yet.

Greg Page, former heavyweight title holder, dead at age 50

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Page, former heavyweight title holder, dead at age 50

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)—Greg Page, a former heavyweight boxing champion who suffered a severe brain injury in a 2001 fight, has died at his Louisville home. He was 50.

His wife, Patricia Page, said she found the one-time World Boxing Association champion in his bed Monday morning. Patricia Page said he died of complications related to injuries he suffered in the fight.

Page told The Associated Press her husband “is in a better place now.”

The March 9, 2001, fight left Page in a coma for nearly a week. He then had a stroke during post-fight surgery. He was paralyzed on his left side and received intensive physical therapy.
    R.I.P Greg

Link

Damn........

R.I.P. Greg.

Comment

Very sad, but not unexpected given his condition

Poet

Comment

Sad news, 50 is no age to die.

Sadly it's yet another indictment of the shoddy way boxing was and still is run in many areas. Fighters allowed to continue when they should be long retired and poorly-enforced safety regulations, if any at all. I think Page's family actually won damages for the way his last fight was mis-handled.

RIP champ.
        Last edited by Kid McCoy; 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
          Sad news, 50 is no age to die.

Sadly it's yet another indictment of the shoddy way boxing was and still is run in many areas. Fighters allowed to continue when they should be long retired and poorly-enforced safety regulations, if any at all. I think Page's family actually won damages for the way his last fight was mis-handled.

RIP champ.
          Yeah... Spot on.. Holyfield's a candidate for sure..
          Gutted about Page though.. One of the underrated, & had a terrific defence in his prime, but typically took far too much punishment during the later years.. RIP GP

Comment

very sad, was great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              R.I.P Greg

Link
              Greg Page was a tremendous amateur fighter who was from Muhammad Ali's hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Because of this and a similar style to Ali, Page had great expectations. He never lived up to these expectations, but he did have a brief run as WBA champion, Knocking out Gerrie Coetzee, but lost the title in his very first defense. I liked Page, saw him fight as an amateur on ABC's USA vs The World, and was disappointed at his career. Page had a lot of heart and to die at such an early age is indeed quite sad.

Comment

remember he was in McCalls corner when he defeated Lewis. He knocked Tyson down in training before the Buster Douglas fight as well...

Comment

Very sad to hear.

RIP.

Comment

Probably the most naturally talented heavyweight, maybe fighter in the last 30 years.His heart, unfortunately, was never into the sport fully to be a dominant fighter.R.I.P Greg.

Comment

Working...
                    X