No announcement yet.

Question about counter/slick style fighers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about counter/slick style fighers

Today I sparred with a lighter kid that was about 15 pounds lighter than me. the 15 pounds I had on him made a difference and not in the positive way either. He was fast as hell and kept using counters to the body. MY MAIN CONCERN is I ****ed up bad when this guy started pulling back. I mean I would throw a combination and this guy would just pull his head back and before I knew it he already threw a counter. He had alot more experience than me(he has had 17 fights). I would like to know what some of you guys do against fighters that overuse the countering and the pulling the head back after you have thrown your combination.

Originally posted by YoungMoney17 View Post
    Today I sparred with a lighter kid that was about 15 pounds lighter than me. the 15 pounds I had on him made a difference and not in the positive way either. He was fast as hell and kept using counters to the body. MY MAIN CONCERN is I ****ed up bad when this guy started pulling back. I mean I would throw a combination and this guy would just pull his head back and before I knew it he already threw a counter. He had alot more experience than me(he has had 17 fights). I would like to know what some of you guys do against fighters that overuse the countering and the pulling the head back after you have thrown your combination.
    Pulling there head back up in the air? Ko time baby. And a solid jab with plenty of combos will stop him throwing much back. Be first.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 P4PKING_2008 View Post
      Pulling there head back up in the air? Ko time baby. And a solid jab with plenty of combos will stop him throwing much back. Be first.
      but he only pulls back after I have thrown my combination. I have an idea of what your saying tho! good k coming your way man

Comment

you pretty much have to go have good fast defense, and work just as hard and fast as he does. if you got reach, use it to your advantage but don't get over confident on it.

Comment

Throw two and three jabs, and make sure you are bringing back your jab hand fast. Keep moving, if he is off balance he will have a hard time setting to lean out of the way and get a solid counter off.

Comment

pretend that u gonna throw a punch then when he puls his head back, u step in and throw a cros

Comment

Yeah what the above said, feinting punches and slowing your workrate may be the best. Don't give him a chance to get an opener, try and keep your distance and move in and move out. If hes 15 pounds lighter, he prob has a reach and height disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMoney17 View Post
                Work on your feinting. You need to take away their reflexes by ****ing with them with feints.

Throw your feint, and if they flinch, don't punch. When they don't flench. Punch.

Also, timing is your friend. Throw your punches with the expectation they are going to counter, and use it to set up an opportunity to counter their counter.

For example, if they are countering a right hand over your jab, throw the jab with the intention of getting them to counter so you can step back, then come forward with a left hook.

Comment

Working...
                X