Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man....... I'm still extremely disappointed in Ruiz' effort.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
    Not sucking anyone’s D am not even a fan of leonard to begin with.

1. That’s on duran, he knows there’s a rematch and agreed to it
    just like getting fat was ruiz fault not AJ’s lol

2. Idk who the F that is.

Whatever the excuse he quit on him and i like duran..

Okay i’ll just use different examples to make my point with elite fighters struggling with movement.
    Dude, it wasn't on Durán.
    They called him out of the blue and told him he had to fight Leonard in that time frame. He wasn't given time and was told by his promoter he had to do it.

Omar Torrijos was the Panamanian president at the time. Guess what would have happen to Durán....

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
      I told the Durán story 10K times.

1) he was given 1 month and 1 week to loose 52 pounds. Check it if you know your history
      2) Omar Torrijo's brother had a bet against him.

North Americans still want to close their eyes and will never confront these 2 facts. Let's keep on sucking on Leonard's D...
      This is true, and while I admit that Leonard-Duran I and II were before my time, the fact remains that Duran allowed himself to get out of shape and then agreed to the rematch. That's not Sugar Ray's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
        Dude, it wasn't on Durán.
        They called him out of the blue and told him he had to fight Leonard in that time frame. He wasn't given time and was told by his promoter he had to do it.

Omar Torrijos was the Panamanian president at the time. Guess what would have happen to Durán....
        I never knew that full story; I guess you could argue that he shouldn't have gained so much weight after the first fight but that sucks if he was put at a disadvantage by his own promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by emceetns View Post
          I never knew that full story; I guess you could argue that he shouldn't have gained so much weight after the first fight but that sucks if he was put at a disadvantage by his own promoter.
          Yeap, he got a call: You are fighting in 5 weeks.

You know, Durán was a young lad who wasn't very bright at the time. A cool monster of a fighter, but remember he was in his prime in the 70's, still then, he was a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
            It's been a while ago, but this still gets to me more than any other fight in recent memory.
            Then you'll appreciate this.

Comment

He did accept defeat pretty easily.

Comment

Ugh, tell me about it. How the hell do you show up weighing 283 lbs after a 3 month training camp.

Comment

I too was kind of rooting for Ruiz to show up in great shape and really put on a clinic. It would have made for a great story. But it is what it is. Or was what it was.

What I'm most interested now is what happens to Ruiz. He had a taste, let it go to his head (or his waist) a bit, and made an error in judgement by not preparing. So what does he do now? Does he slip into the shadows, having made his money? Or does he come back fired up for another go? Personally, I can't fault him for going either direction, but like before, I'm rooting for him.

I'm equally interested in Joshua's future. He tasted defeat, and responded by being strategic and safe. Will that be his MO from now on? Or, having lost his belts once, will he really go after securing that legacy and making some big moves?

I'm looking forward to seeing where these HWs are going, and how they are getting there.
                  Last edited by a.rihn; 01-13-2020, 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence

Comment

Ruiz is a check-collector (nothing awful w/ that I would be similar in a way) if a rematch happens then he better slim up the most out of the previous Joshua fight unless Al pairs Andy w/ Deontay, Oritz, etc he better take it seriously or career & paydays will be gone

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                      It's been a while ago, but this still gets to me more than any other fight in recent memory.

Losing wasn't the issue. It's the not even attempting to put up a fight and just gave back all the belts.

Maybe he just thought that it was all a fluke and he knew it, but even if it was a fluke and he knew that he wasn't going to beat him a second time, at least go down with honor and dignity and train at your very best and give it your very best so when your kids grow up and watch the fight, they would be proud seeing that he gave it his all.
                      Not shocked. Mikey Garcia just showed up for the big payday too.

Comment

Working...
                      X