No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Martinez Still Target Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
    Pacquiao wouldn't face Cotto, let alone Martinez at 154lbs. Offered a fight to him then ran (straight into a KO from Marquez) when he wouldn't accept another catchweight. If one is a potential duck, that fact IS a duck, right?

On topic, it's an intriguing matchup but catchweights offer ready-made excuses and taint victories and either man going to the other's division (be it 147lbs or 160lbs) doesn't seem likely and isn't a reasonable thing to demand.
    He wouldn't even face Wolak there, he said as much after the Marg fight. But you got the timeline wrong: Pac first offered 147, a non cw. Cotto said, is this guy afraid of me, why won't he offer 150 like Marg. So Pac offered 150, not sure why Cotto changed his mind. Can't be the weight, 150 is about his ideal weight, now that he's too "proud" to make 147.

And no catchweight necessary for Floyd Sergio, 154 has been an established class for a while. Floyd is a 2x champ there, currently #1 in all rankings, and Sergio would be happy to meet him there.

Comment

• Martinez is never going to get that fight. He is a very dangerous opponent that does not bring in all that much money. Floyd is not going to risk his 0 against someone that big and that good.

Comment

• Bottom line: FLOYD IS A WELTER-WT THAT CAN PROBABLY STILL MAKE 140!!! Sergio is my dude but him and Ward are probably 5lbs apart come fight night while again "FLOYD IS A FRICKEN SMALL WELTER-WT WHO REALLY HAS NO BUSINESS FIGHTING @ 154" but because of his skills he's able to beat guys there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Q View Post
          Bottom line: FLOYD IS A WELTER-WT THAT CAN PROBABLY STILL MAKE 140!!! Sergio is my dude but him and Ward are probably 5lbs apart come fight night while again "FLOYD IS A FRICKEN SMALL WELTER-WT WHO REALLY HAS NO BUSINESS FIGHTING @ 154" but because of his skills he's able to beat guys there.
          So you're saying his 154 belts are paper?

Comment

Bottom line: FLOYD IS A WELTER-WT THAT CAN PROBABLY STILL MAKE 140!!! Sergio is my dude but him and Ward are probably 5lbs apart come fight night while again "FLOYD IS A FRICKEN SMALL WELTER-WT WHO REALLY HAS NO BUSINESS FIGHTING @ 154" but because of his skills he's able to beat guys there.
            Are you insinuating that Ward weighs between 170-172 on fight night? last I recall he usually comes in between 176-181 and Mayweather refused to be weighed on fight night against Cotto so we don't know how much he weighed on fight night at that weight division. If you're going to claim your the best at 154 (by holding a belt there) then you've got to be willing to prove it against anyone and that includes Sergio Martinez and Austin Trout. Mayweather will probably fight Gurrero and/or Canelo anyway. /thread

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Thanks for pointing this out. If he's already fought the #1 at 154, what's the problem with Martinez at the same weight?
              I say take Martinez at his word and he's quoted saying "I will come down to 150 to fight Floyd or Manny!!! I say make him do that and weigh in on fight day because he issued that challenge. Floyd would probably not want a catch-wt but to me he get's a bye because Martinez challenged him at that weight. Floyd should take that fight and make Sergio weigh in the day of the fight.

Comment

• Floyd wouldn't fight Sergio with a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
                  Are you insinuating that Ward weighs between 170-172 on fight night? last I recall he usually comes in between 176-181 and Mayweather refused to be weighed on fight night against Cotto so we don't know how much he weighed on fight night at that weight division. If you're going to claim your the best at 154 (by holding a belt there) then you've got to be willing to prove it against anyone and that includes Sergio Martinez and Austin Trout. Mayweather will probably fight Gurrero and/or Canelo anyway. /thread

No you don't have to prove it against a man fighting at a higher weight!!!! Sergio is a middle weight not a jr-middle-wt anymore. You talk as if Sergio is the #1 contender @ 154, "HE"S NOT" Sergio has weighed in as high as 172-174 on fight night and as you said Ward comes in around 176-181, looks within the same range to me but haters would like to see Floyd (152 at most wet) fight this dude coming in 20lbs heavier naturally. That's a dare that ONLY Floyd has the right to take.

Comment

I say take Martinez at his word and he's quoted saying "I will come down to 150 to fight Floyd or Manny!!! I say make him do that and weigh in on fight day because he issued that challenge. Floyd would probably not want a catch-wt but to me he get's a bye because Martinez challenged him at that weight. Floyd should take that fight and make Sergio weigh in the day of the fight.
                    He did say that, but why would Floyd do that if he's the reigning 154 champ? 154 should work for both

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      He did say that, but why would Floyd do that if he's the reigning 154 champ? 154 should work for both

I think Floyd's pride would want the fight @ the 154 limit, if so he needs to make him weight in on the day of the fight instead of a day before, like a 12-2 that afternoon weigh in. Otherwise Martinez would have a super size advantage. Fights are won most times @ the negotiating table.

Comment

Working...
                      X