Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your love for boxing make you biased towards MMA/UFC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watch both. Although most of MMA fighters are tactically inept.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is about watching both. I enjoy MMA and Boxing. I like Boxing a little better because of how long I've followed it, but I'm not like these idiots who down MMA and never really watch it and just bash it for the sake of there being another contact sport that the media pits it up against Boxing. Even as a kid starting to follow Boxing I also loved Martial Arts so by nature I just gravitated towards MMA. It seems the hardcore Boxing fans get pissed because of the notoriety and attention MMA (in this case UFC) gets on a broad basis while trying to discredit the sport and the company, meanwhile (in the case for the UFC) they have coverage on Network TV, something Boxing hasn't seen in almost 2 decades. If you don't like MMA, that's cool, nobody's forcing you to watch it (like I'm not forced to watch Nascar).

Comment

No because i took the time to see what it's about. And now i love both sports.

People have a chip on their shoulders and this comes to both pure mma and pure boxing fans.
        They feel threatened that their sport will suffer due to the success of the other.

But it doesn't matter. In the end it's all about putting out a good product and if mma or boxing can't do that they don't deserve the casual fans interest.

If you feel it doesn't take extraordinary skills to master either sport you're a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post

People have a chip on their shoulders and this comes to both pure mma and pure boxing fans.
          They feel threatened that their sport will suffer due to the success of the other.

But it doesn't matter. In the end it's all about putting out a good product and if mma or boxing can't do that they don't deserve the casual fans interest.

If you feel it doesn't take extraordinary skills to master either sport you're a fool.
          Exactly................

Comment

I started watching mma a while back because of this guy. MMA has a plethura of good fighters, just as boxing does - I really don't understand why someone would just be a fan of one sport and not the other. If you are a fan of fighting - you'll like both sports.

Comment

I've never watched MMA or UFC or whatever it is. Not remotely interested.

I sometimes look into it online on some online discussions, just to see what it's like and what not. But I've never actually watched a full fight.

I don't have an issue with it. I personally think it's awful but that's just my personal opinion. It obviously isn't an easy sport to master.

The sport has certainly grown, vastly. I see a lot of kids taking up it in the last 5 or so years as opposed to say 10, 20 years ago. No one was interested in that kind of thing back then.

It seems a lot of their fans consider it to be a threat to Boxing. It's not, by the way.

I remember speaking to a guy a few years ago when I believe they competed with Mayweather's fight with Marquez. He was telling me how the UFC card was going to beat it, and that Boxing is dying. And even provided all these statistics on why it's a dead certainity that the UFC card would obliterate it. Turns out, it didn't

I've never really spoken to a Boxing fan about UFC, but I get the feeling that the UFC fans have this strong idea that it's going to kill Boxing.

Despite the ignorance of Boxing fans these days I never hear them talking that way about UFC. As opposed to the UFC fans.

It seems there's a lot of ignorance on both sides. I'm certainly very ignorant to UFC, I couldn't tell you the first thing about it. That's why I usually steer clear to discussions like this

Comment

The only time MMA is exciting is when their banging each other with punches and kicks once it goes to the ground it becomes a bore and 75% of the time their on the ground that is why i don't watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post

Good points made and I'm impressed with some of you

Comment

I watch both, used to hate MMA until I went to do some training at my local MMA Gym and started getting into it. I now enjoy both sports, although I prefer watching boxing as a lot of MMA fights involve too much stalling recently.

Originally posted by Primera View Post
                    "boxing is just that, boxing. MMA has boxing AND everything else including wrestling, bjj, Muay Thai, and more. MMA fighters are more well rounded fighters. Boxers only have to watch for punches, whereas MMA fighters have to be prepared for strikes, kicks, and take downs."

can't recall how many times I've heard this from mma fans who hate boxing
                    Can you explain what about that statement is incorrect though? I love both sports, and I don't rate either above the other, but that statement is true. In boxing, you have to defend against punches coming in at you, in MMA you have to watch for other forms of offense as well... its just the nature of the sports.

Originally posted by Very Rich Man View Post
                    Don't forget the usual "Boxing is a dying breed" "Boxing isn't fighting" "Everyone only cares about 2 fighters in boxing".
                    Yeah, I can't stand that shit

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                    I watch more MMA than boxing (mostly because it's on more) but I've always respected boxing more than MMA. MMA is embarrassing to be associated with because of the image and the fans . So, I'll tell people I watch boxing, and that I box and train Jiu Jitsu, but I won't say I'm into "UFC" unless they're savvy.
                    True. A lot of MMA fans are flat out embarrassingto be associated with

Comment

Originally posted by Primera View Post
                      their main form of defense is always something along the lines of this.....

"boxing is just that, boxing. MMA has boxing AND everything else including wrestling, bjj, Muay Thai, and more. MMA fighters are more well rounded fighters. Boxers only have to watch for punches, whereas MMA fighters have to be prepared for strikes, kicks, and take downs."

can't recall how many times I've heard this from mma fans who hate boxing
                      I have issue with calling yourself an "Ultimate Fighter" if you cant even box decently. If you cant even box, then you're just an OK fighter, not Ultimate.

Ive heard once that watching 12 rounds is too much. I guess its an A.D.D thing.

In MMA they cheer a MF for beating up a guy on the ground in a fetal position. I cant get behind that.

The glory in MMA is different than in Boxing. IMO, there is no glory in beating an already downed man. Others who have also boxed feel the same.

Plus, they dog on boxing because supposedly they can counter it with Jiu Jitsu easily, so what do they do in their fights? Box. Terribly. Even with their light ass he-man gloves.

Don't care for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X