Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On this day Rocky Marciano retires as undefeated heavyweight champion*in 1956. Salute

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day Rocky Marciano retires as undefeated heavyweight champion*in 1956. Salute

49Wins
    43By Tko
    0Losses

I remember when they made that virtual fight between him and ali and marciano won LMAO SMH

this dude is overrated as fucc

Comment

Marciano is an ATG HW no doubt, but H2H he'd get spanked by most ATG HW's.

He had some good wins though. He had some good timing though when his career came about, same as Lennox Lewis to a certain degree, though Lennox is better than Marciano. Rocky came on when Louis, Walcott, Charles were getting up there and near the end of their careers, and before Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston came along to be Top HW's. I think Rocky could have beaten Floyd Patterson, because Floyd had a glass jaw, but he very well could have been out boxed and possibly stopped on cuts by Floyd, who Ali said was the best "boxer" he ever faced.

Still, Rocky beat a past prime Joe Louis, a past prime Joe Walcott, a prime Roland La Starza, a past prime-still good Ezzard Charles, and Archie Moore when Archie was still a top tier fighter. His wins over Moore and Charles were really really good wins, his wins over Louis and Walcott a little overrated for sure given they were way past it by those points. Still, Joe Louis was a Top 10 HW when Rocky fought him, as was Joe Walcott. And Archie Moore was the #1 HW contender in the world when Marciano beat him. Rocky was an ATG and had a solid resume, though he got started late obviously, but he isn't in the Top 5 based on career-resume-era, and H2H he's not in the Top 10 at HW.

Comment

in b4 Floyd fanboys diss Rocky's "0"

Comment

Originally posted by saul alvarez View Post
          I remember when they made that virtual fight between him and ali and marciano won LMAO SMH

this dude is overrated as fucc
          Yes, and what I am about to say will get all these history and old-timer fanboys so pissed.

These fighters from Marciano and Joe Louis days would stand ZERO chance with the fighters of today. Even the **** heavyweight like Chisora, Arreola and other bums would have beaten these old guys. They barely trained compared to how people train these days, didn't know nearly as many strengthening techniques and everything else. In EVERY sport, the athletes are by far superior now to say 40-70 years ago. EVERY sport, yes that includes boxing. If Marciano were to fight Lennox Lewis or Ali or a Klitschko he would get destroyed so bad he would look like a bum bar fighter. Just look at those tapes LOL, so slow and brutal conditioning. These old guys are overrated as **** by nerd historians who dwell on the "good old days" when the fighters of today are wayyyy better.

Starting from the time of Ali onwards is when athletics hit major strides in training developments. Hell, after the fights those old guys would drink for a few weeks and have no nutritionists and then go fight again they would be slaughtered like lambs to new generation fighters.

How do you think Larry Bird stacks up to Lebron James in terms of ability on the court? LMAO

Comment

@4cornerskid
            you took me back in time with that GETO BOYS
            sig...
            green K sent

Comment

Originally posted by Oh you out son View Post
              Yes, and what I am about to say will get all these history and old-timer fanboys so pissed.

These fighters from Marciano and Joe Louis days would stand ZERO chance with the fighters of today. Even the **** heavyweight like Chisora, Arreola and other bums would have beaten these old guys. They barely trained compared to how people train these days, didn't know nearly as many strengthening techniques and everything else. In EVERY sport, the athletes are by far superior now to say 40-70 years ago. EVERY sport, yes that includes boxing. If Marciano were to fight Lennox Lewis or Ali or a Klitschko he would get destroyed so bad he would look like a bum bar fighter. Just look at those tapes LOL, so slow and brutal conditioning. These old guys are overrated as **** by nerd historians who dwell on the "good old days" when the fighters of today are wayyyy better.

Starting from the time of Ali onwards is when athletics hit major strides in training developments. Hell, after the fights those old guys would drink for a few weeks and have no nutritionists and then go fight again they would be slaughtered like lambs to new generation fighters.

How do you think Larry Bird stacks up to Lebron James in terms of ability on the court? LMAO
              There's just such a huge difference between fighters from 1900's-early/mid 1950's to guys from the mid 1960's-present day.

H2H and career resume/era, Ali is hands down the greatest HW ever. And what's crazy about Ali was that he only had a 3 year prime, would have been longer without his ban/layoff in the 60's.

I know I'm about to piss some Frazier fans off, but had Ali not been forced into exile for 3 1/2 years, they most likely would have fought in 1968-1969, with Ali not losing stamina in his legs/arms and losing a bit of speed, Ali would NEVER have lost to Joe Frazier.

Still, Ali's is the Top HW of all-time based on career-era-resume, and H2H in his prime, I can't envision favoring anyone to beat him. And he's definitely in the Top 10 GOAT, Top 5 depending on who you talk to.

Wins over 4 ATG's in Sonny Liston (World/RING HW champ), Floyd Patterson (#2 ranked HW), Joe Frazier (#2 ranked HW), and George Foreman (WBC/WBA/RING HW champ). Also with wins over Archie Moore (Top 10 HW), Doug Jones (#3 ranked HW), Henry Cooper (Top 10 HW), Karl Mildenberger (Top 10 HW), Ernie Terrell(WBA HW champ/#1 HW), Zora Folley (#2 ranked HW), George Chuvalo (#3 ranked HW), Jerry Quarry (#3 ranked HW), Oscar Bonavena (Top 10 HW), Jimmy Ellis (Top 10 HW), Jurgen Blin, Mac Foster (Top 10 HW), Bob Foster, Joe Bugner (Top 10 HW), Ken Norton (#3 ranked HW), Ron Lyle (#3 ranked HW), Jimmy Young (#2 ranked HW), and Earnie Shavers (Top 10 HW).

Ali hands down has the best HW resume ever, and one of the Top 5 or complete resume's ever of any weight class.

Comment

Salute to a true legend.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                  There's just such a huge difference between fighters from 1900's-early/mid 1950's to guys from the mid 1960's-present day.

H2H and career resume/era, Ali is hands down the greatest HW ever. And what's crazy about Ali was that he only had a 3 year prime, would have been longer without his ban/layoff in the 60's.

I know I'm about to piss some Frazier fans off, but had Ali not been forced into exile for 3 1/2 years, they most likely would have fought in 1968-1969, with Ali not losing stamina in his legs/arms and losing a bit of speed, Ali would NEVER have lost to Joe Frazier.

Still, Ali's is the Top HW of all-time based on career-era-resume, and H2H in his prime, I can't envision favoring anyone to beat him. And he's definitely in the Top 10 GOAT, Top 5 depending on who you talk to.

Wins over 4 ATG's in Sonny Liston (World/RING HW champ), Floyd Patterson (#2 ranked HW), Joe Frazier (#2 ranked HW), and George Foreman (WBC/WBA/RING HW champ). Also with wins over Archie Moore (Top 10 HW), Doug Jones (#3 ranked HW), Henry Cooper (Top 10 HW), Karl Mildenberger (Top 10 HW), Ernie Terrell(WBA HW champ/#1 HW), Zora Folley (#2 ranked HW), George Chuvalo (#3 ranked HW), Jerry Quarry (#3 ranked HW), Oscar Bonavena (Top 10 HW), Jimmy Ellis (Top 10 HW), Jurgen Blin, Mac Foster (Top 10 HW), Bob Foster, Joe Bugner (Top 10 HW), Ken Norton (#3 ranked HW), Ron Lyle (#3 ranked HW), Jimmy Young (#2 ranked HW), and Earnie Shavers (Top 10 HW).

Ali hands down has the best HW resume ever, and one of the Top 5 or complete resume's ever of any weight class.
                  True that bro.

My top 5:

1. Ali
                  2. SRR
                  3. SRL
                  4. Hopkins
                  5. Mayweather

Comment

@ 1:15

Comment

Working...
                    X