No announcement yet.

Hearns body attack: please read before voting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearns body attack: please read before voting

How would you rate Tommy Hearns as a body puncher? This isn't about how often he went to the body but how effective he was when he did. Vote and discuss.
    A+
    25.00%
    A
    25.00%
    A-
    18.75%
    B+
    18.75%
    B
    0.00%
    B-
    0.00%
    C+
    0.00%
    C
    12.50%
    C-
    0.00%
    D
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I am much too humble to challenge someone of incomparable boxing wisdom, but Hearns had a wicked left hook to the body. There is video evidence of this.

Comment

I put B+.....A very good body puncher. I save the "A" ratings for the super elite body punchers like McCallum.

Poet

Comment

When he did, he did it with power, speed and good punches.

Aside from frequency, I don't think there was anything to be improved on.

A+

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          I put B+.....A very good body puncher. I save the "A" ratings for the super elite body punchers like McCallum.

Poet
          I'd go with that too, think he head hunted too much to be in the As

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
            Originally posted by GJC View Post
            I'd go with that too, think he head hunted too much to be in the As

I understand you guys and agree with you both. But for the purpose of this thread the question is how would you grade his effectiveness as a body puncher when he did go to the body?

Comment

A from me.

Excellent straight right and left hook to the body. The way he stepped in with the straight right during the ealry going in the first Leonard fight had me wincing just watching.

Comment

A from me.

He may not have used it as much as he could and should have, but when he did it was as effective as any of the noted body punchers I have seen.

If I had to choose head or gut for a Hearns straight right then I am taking it in the face. The pain will be replaced a split second after it lands by visions of pretty meadows, and blue skies and birds singing.
                Taking it to the gut is just gonna make you cry in front of your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
                  A from me.

He may not have used it as much as he could and should have, but when he did it was as effective as any of the noted body punchers I have seen.

If I had to choose head or gut for a Hearns straight right then I am taking it in the face. The pain will be replaced a split second after it lands by visions of pretty meadows, and blue skies and birds singing.
                  Taking it to the gut is just gonna make you cry in front of your friends.

I'd much rather get tagged in the head with a good shot than the body by anybody let alone Hearns. A well placed body shot is more painful than anything else in boxing, especially the liver shot which feels like someone stuck a knife in you and twisted it.

Don't forget to cast you vote Jeff!

Comment

anytime i think of the best bodypunchers in history hearns is always one of the first names that pop into my head. hes right up there with chavez, mccallum, duran etc.. terrific bodypuncher, A+.

Comment

Working...
                    X