No announcement yet.

Strong hand position

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong hand position

Anyone know who fights with their strong hand in front? I know some boxers switch stances in the middle of fights but do any boxers use this in their main stance?

Ive been used to always standing southpaw, with my strong hand (right) in front, better blocking, hooking, and jabbing. I sometimes use my left for straights, but it's just awkward for me to be in an orthodox stance.

Sonny Liston fought like a converted South-Paw.

Comment

de la hoya and moorer

Comment

Another one is Cotto, he is a converted southpaw, Marvin Hagler was right handed and he fought as a southpaw.

Personally i'm right handed and i fight as a southpaw, it's not really a matter of having my my stronger hand in front, cause i think my hands are pretty much equal in terms of power. It's just that i feel much more comfortable as a southpaw, when i was younger and i started boxing one day at the gym i was just messing around hitting the bag and i was switching to southpaw, one of the trainer started telling me that i looked better as a leftie.

That stayed in my head and for a year or so i just kept switching around all the time, in sparring, on the bag, mitts, ect.(Some of the trainers didn't like it at all.) Eventually i just stuck to southpaw. I don't know why, i feel more comfortable and my combinations are more fluid.

Comment

I think I've heard that Cotto is a natural southpaw who stands orthodox in order to have a stronger jab and left hook, but I may be wrong.

Comment

lol, equilibrium beat me to it.

Comment

Oscar De La Hoya
              Miguel Cotto
              Marco Antonio Barrera

I think Mike Tyson was also a natural lefty

Comment

Can't forget about Bad Chad

Comment

I didnt realize all of the above were, especially Iron Mike, I never noticed it. I'll have to watch some highlights, but I remember alot of KO's with his right uppercut and hook. There's no way I could do that with my left

Also with southpaw, my right leg is in front, which makes my footwork alot better. This all originates from sparring, and defending with short right leg kicks to someones knees. Itd be the quickest form of attack.

Ive tried orthodox, but everything felt wrong. My left hand is very weak compared to the right, and not as coordinated. The only power I can get from it is a left straight with putting my entire body into it, Im still practicing left hooks and they are getting stronger. I have a very lazy jab with my left.
                  Last edited by shogunn; 09-09-2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shogunn View Post
                    Anyone know who fights with their strong hand in front? I know some boxers switch stances in the middle of fights but do any boxers use this in their main stance?

Ive been used to always standing southpaw, with my strong hand (right) in front, better blocking, hooking, and jabbing. I sometimes use my left for straights, but it's just awkward for me to be in an orthodox stance.
                    do you have a good left,the reason why i ask is you just use it for straights,if that is the case you will get kayoed quick,you have to have better use for your left or you will need smelling salts to awaken you

Comment

Working...
                    X