No announcement yet.

boxing/basketball comparisons!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxing/basketball comparisons!!

i believe that you can compare some boxers and their careers to basketball players and their careers. if you don't know what i'm talking about, then i'll give you an example.

boxer: muhammad "the greatest" ali

compared to

b-ball player: michael "air" jordan

comparison: both are condered by most as the greatest of all times in their sport, they both had three careers, ali's was '60-'67, '70-'78, and '80-'81. jordan was '84-'93, '95-'98, and '01-'03. both of their first careers were extremely dominant, and they blasted all the competition with their great speed and natural skill. ali had his dancing, and shuffles and quick combos, jordan had impeccable handle, gravity defying dunks, and quick crossovers. their first careers both ended prematurely when they were still in their primes. in their second careers, they both slowed down a bit, but they adapted and still found a way to achieve greatness, ali added the rope-a-dope to his arsenal, and still became champ, and jordan added a fade-away jumper to his arsenal, and won three more titles. their second retirement were more anticipated than the first. but they missed competiton and both came back a third time, but they were way over the hill, and couldn't win anything, and it might have tarnished their legacy a bit. however, they are both still recognized as probaly the top two athletes ever! so they are extremely alike!

i'll be comparing more boxers and basketball players in this thread! hope you like them as well as the one i just did.
    Last edited by butterfly1964; 12-23-2005, 11:15 AM.

Mike Tyson and Dennis Rodman: Both were great when they started out, and intimidating, as well. However, time got to both of these men, and after awhile, they were viewed as practical jokes by the public. Both men careed their careers on way too long than it should have been.

Young Mike Tyson:

Young Dennis Rodman:

Mike Tyson now:

Dennis Rodman now:
    Last edited by Skydog; 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

jordan was over the hill but nhot like ali, even in jordans last season (40 yrs old) he still had 20 ppg and 6 rpg playing hte whole season. ali lost 3 of his 4 last fights. otherwise great comparisons, good job

Comment

Originally posted by Skydog
        Mike Tyson and Dennis Rodman: Both were great when they started out, and intimidating, as well. However, time got to both of these men, and after awhile, they were viewed as practical jokes by the public. Both men careed their careers on way too long than it should have been.

Young Mike Tyson:

Young Dennis Rodman:

Mike Tyson now:

Dennis Rodman now:
        wow, pretty good!

Comment

in addition!

i may have missed some things on ali and jordan. they both had promising careers, even though they weren't phenoms or "man-childs" or anything like that. ali won a gold medal in the olympics, and several amateur awards, and jordan won the college national championship as a freshmen and was elected college player of the year as a junior. when they were younger, they weren't really that great. ali was uncoordinated and used to get beaten as a twelve year old, and jordan couldn't make the high school basketball team as a sophmore. however, with time and practice, they became much better. also both had the certain look that society wanted, they were young, handsome, and outspoken, which sort of added to their legend.

Comment

no comparison's for me.

Comment

Another one!

boxer: "big" george foreman

compared to

b-ball player: wilt "the stilt" chamberlain

comparison: when they came on the scene, they were huge dominating guys. their bodies were built for their sport. foreman was huge, and with huge arms, and scary power, arguably the most punching power by far in boxing history. chamberlain was 7-1 275lb. and could jump higher than any other player blocked any shot that came his way. foreman was manhandling opponents physically with ease, and chamberlain bodied opponents with ease, i mean, when grabbing a rebound, the bodies used to bounce off of him! and he took over games by himself with his size. no one had seen anything like them. however, in the early parts of their careers, they only relied on their physical gifts, and they were sort of one-dimensional. foreman was ko'd by ali in '74, and chamberlain for a number of years lost to bill russel and the boston celtics. however, their desire for greatness made them change their style a little. foreman became smarter and conserved his energy so he could win the title at 45. chamberlain decided to pass the ball more instead of scoring by himself, and managed to finally beat the celtics in the conference finals in '67 and win the title that year, and also win the title in '72. but they still had some of their physical gifts. foreman could still hit like a mack truck, and chamberlain could still out rebound and even outscore other players.

hope you liked this one!
              Last edited by butterfly1964; 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Butterfly,

Great comparisons. You could also come out with the comparisons of how Chamberlain scored an unbelieveable 100 points, whereas Foreman unbelievably knocked the iron-chinned Joe Frazier 6 times en route to a 2nd round KO for the World Heavyweight Title.

I got one coming up.

Comment

Jones Jr & Vince Carter.
                  Both had loads and loads of talent and were touted as being the next big thing but both really haven't really filled their potential. Jones Jr didn't really fight anybody and possibly didn't have much heart (maybe because he was too busy embarassing firemen) and Carter has went through his career losing the big games, faking injuries, milking injuries. ****ty comparison but still pretty damn true.

Comment

Interesting Comparison GUYS keep it UP

People with NON-SENSE post shoudnt even post on a thread LIKE this :P

Comment

Working...
                    X