No announcement yet.

Peek-a-boo practictioners...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peek-a-boo practictioners...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of holding the gloves up with the palms facing your face, as opposed to having the palms facing each other perpendicular to your face in the more classic position?

When you have the palms facing you, that makes you twist your wrists more when you punch. It requires more effort, but it adds more snap to your punches. It also makes your guard a bit tighter since there is no gaps between your arms.

It's probably the only stance where you can guard and attack at the same time...

Comment

makes you slow, blind or open forehead, you gotta have head movement.

Comment

Originally posted by putaloco View Post
        makes you slow, blind or open forehead, you gotta have head movement.
        it doesn't make you slow and even tough ir leaves your forehead open if you get hit there the worst thing that can happen is getting a cut right? and boxing requires head movement unless you want to get hit

Comment

Your glvoes will cover more of your face on defence but you won't be able to open up on offence as easily or quickly (Ex. Clottey vs Pac)

Comment

I only use high guard when computer is on, I dont like it.

Comment

A lot of fighters just have a high guard and are mistakened peekaboo practictioners. To answer your question, I dont think while using the peekaboo you should have your palms facing ur face but to have them on the side and still use the peekaboo

If you see Mike tysons training, notice where he places his hands. Also, check out some floyd patterson fights, he curls them up but its similair to tysons. Only Jose torres that i know of faced his palms to his face

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                What are the advantages and disadvantages of holding the gloves up with the palms facing your face, as opposed to having the palms facing each other perpendicular to your face in the more classic position?

The peek-a-boo is with the palms facing your face. The perpendicular to your face position isn't the peek-a-boo, that is just a high and tight guard. Like Winky Wright if you want a good example.

Gloves with the palms facing your face, protects your chin perfectly. There is no opening on your chin and your elbows are nice and tight against your body.

High and tight guard protects your temples, good against wide/loopy punchers. A well hidden jab comes from this, harder to see the jab coming from this guard. High and tight guard puts blinders on you though. You can't see what isn't directly in front of you, your peripherals are gone or obscured. Unless your at a distance of course.

Comment

I use the high and tight guard, it's pretty effective for me. I don't get scored on very much, the only guy that has really scored notably on me in my last 10 or so fights was a guy who went to youth world championships this year.

Comment

my coach wants me to start incorporating a lot more headmovement and step offs, I'm able to mix in a few odd ones, but I don't really move my head consistently. I just find the high guard so much more comfortable and natural for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X