Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you have JMM P4P now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I don't want to start an argument where people accuse eachother of knowing **** about boxing etc. Just a decent debate.

He should be either no.2 or no.3. Firstly my view on the Pac/Marquez thing. Pacquiao is going to get trampled on for the result, but my view is it has only just changed the landscape. Instead of dominance of just Pacquiao and Mayweather in that area, Marquez proved hes in that league also. Mayweather, Pacquiao and Marquez should be in the top 5. Instead of a Pacquiao/Mayweather P4P rivalry, its more of a "trivalry" between these three now. Pacquiao-Marquez 5 is still a toss up. Pacquiao-Mayweather, Pacquiao may still win. Mayweather-Marquez, most likely Mayweather (always the weight cheating thing), but theres my point, none of these three have really proven they are P4P better than eachother. Marquez knocked out Pacquaio, but it took him 3 close fights to get there. And theres still the issue of the matchup still being a toss up. Apart from Marquez and Mayweather, who else beats Pacquiao in and round this weightclass of 147? Noone. The p4p no. 15 is just a backlash with no objective truth to it. In order for any of these three to universally be recognised as no.1, they should beat the other two. And this is unlikely to happen, and not one of the three can claim dominance.

Ward still reigns no.1 for me. Knockouts are good for the fans, but in terms of resume, it can be substituted. Thats what we saw with Ward - he totally outclassed the nearest rival in his division with 1 hand, in the Froch fight. You may say, oh but Froch doesn't even count anywhere near Pacquiao. It's not the Froch result thats taken into considering, its the effect the fight had in displaying his domination of a very heavy weightclass at the time. Without trouble. Head-to-head, its hard to offer an opponent in and round his weight class who could beat him. In the case of Marquez, Mayweather is still a champion. Mayweather outclassed Marquez. Objectively speaking, how could one put Marquez over Mayweather? I did mention above about the weight cheating, but Marquez was 4lb lighter at weight-in than Pacquiao. I've seen people justify their argument by saying Mayweather doesn't fight enough. But he's still an "active" boxer, and is a current champion. Frequency of fights doesn't really come intp a P4P perspective. And this is coming from someone who finds Mayweather a disgusting excuse of a person.

Another argument i've seen on here is the "he deserves it" one. A simple one to counter - Froch deserves a top reign in his division for his efforts. But he has to earn that, the same way Marquez would have to earn it. By beating Mayweather.

Another one is - he beat the king, so he is the king. Well sure. I'd agree usually. However theres one problem - Pacquiao was not universally regarded as the "king", in fact, many people on here claimed he was faded badly and that only a small minority still considered him the best in the world. It's interesting to note how opinions of this had changed because of this result. But if you insist on this logic, Mayweather beat Marquez. And theres no proof saying Pacquiao couldn't beat Mayweather. It's an Ali-Foreman-Frazier situation, before Ali beat Frazier. The only person who looks entirely unbeatable in any realistic match up, is Ward.

But thats my take on it. Don't read it if you don't want to. I hope some would read it have a good debate. Won't hold my breathe though

Congrats to Marquez, and best of luck to Pacquiao.

Comment

No less than #2.

Numero 1 is NOT out of the question tho.

Comment

#1 and its not debatable

Comment

#1 Marquez
          #2 Ward

Comment

Ward
            Mayweather
            Marquez

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              Ward
              Mayweather
              Marquez
              I agree. Even if you don't count Ward, I cannot see how you can objectively put Marquez ahead of Mayweather

Comment

He isn't better than Andre Ward. So he's probably 2-3. Depending on who else you have in there. Floyd I'd take off due to inactivity. Say it isn't his fault he didn't fight, but it's his fault he went to jail. One year is more than enough time to fight.

Comment

number 1 just number 1..

Comment

P4p#1 imo.........................

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                      Ward
                      Mayweather
                      Marquez
                      I agree. If Marquez beats Guerrero or Bradley then he stands alone at #1

Comment

Working...
                      X