Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would mean more for Sergio Martinez' legacy???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would mean more for Sergio Martinez' legacy???

Going down to 154 and beating Mayweather, Canelo, and/or Cotto. Or going up to 168 and beating Ward, Froch, and/or Kessler.

?????

Usually when a question on boxingscene leaves me speechless it's because someone's asking something so utterly stupid it makes your head hurt, but your question is so good that I'm speechless. I'm going to go with moving up because I feel Mayweather is on the downslide and a win moving up against a prime Ward will be more important when looked back on in 10 or 20 years. Also I feel moving up to beat Froch/Kessler is better than moving down to fight Cotto/Canelo. But seriously props for a good question. I wouldn't hate on anyone for picking either.

Comment

Double win at 154. Huge paydays and names.

Plus he's a small MW, so there's always the doubt of him not feeling right at 168 and losing. Legacy is cool and all but I don't think Sergio's too focused on that right now. He wants the paydays and those come at 154.

Comment

I think it means more to beat Top fighters who may be bigger than you (Ward, Froch, Kessler) than to beat Top fighters who are considerably smaller than you (Mayweather and Cotto).

I really believe if Sergio fought and beat Floyd, most would say it's a really good big guy beating a great smaller guy, similar to what they say about Floyd-JMM. If he moves up to 168 and beat Andre Ward, a guy naturally bigger and a weight class above him, it'd be HUGE.

Comment

Put yourself in Sergio's shoes. Say you're him and have two fights left. Do you go up for legacy, or down for HUGE paydays with the pound for pound best and still adding to legacy?

Sergio vs Floyd, Canelo, Cotto = sold out crowd, PPV, and big money, and no one would discredit him for winning.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            I think it means more to beat Top fighters who may be bigger than you (Ward, Froch, Kessler) than to beat Top fighters who are considerably smaller than you (Mayweather and Cotto).

I really believe if Sergio fought and beat Floyd, most would say it's a really good big guy beating a great smaller guy, similar to what they say about Floyd-JMM. If he moves up to 168 and beat Andre Ward, a guy naturally bigger and a weight class above him, it'd be HUGE.
            Completely agree. Also it's not like he'd be making chump change if he wanted to fly across the pond and fight Froch in the UK.

Comment

Only one down there that'd mean more is Mayweather, everyone else holds more weight than Cotto and Canelo at 168

Comment

Bump........maybe people will pay attention to this.....

Comment

Going down to 154 and beating Mayweather, Canelo, and/or Cotto. Or going up to 168 and beating Ward, Froch, and/or Kessler.

?????
                  i'd say going down to 154 and fighting cotto and mayweather.

mayweather > ward

cotto > froch

in terms of legacy. mayweather and cotto will be bigger names than ward and froch down the line, imo. is kessler still a SMW? i thought he moved up.

Comment

Nailed it.

Also, Ward is on the up and up, Mayweather and Cotto are in decline. Canelo maybe improving too but he's not in Ward's company right now, not even close.

Comment

Working...
                    X