Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Mosley look like crap in all his fights after the Margarito fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age and the 16 month lay-off between Margo and Floyd. A lay-off that long just kills a fighter Shane's age. Dunno about all the PED stuff, but I know he'll look crap against Paulie too. What a ****ty fight.

Comment

Shane fought better fighters they why he looked worst than fighting a glorified journeyman bum in Margarito

Comment

This is an eyebrow raiser. I think it was because of the whole PEDs thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
          A bordering-shot fighter looks only as good as his opponent.

Take a look at RJJ for example: Easily beats a way passed it, inactive, much smaller Trinidad, a shot Jeff Lacy but can't do a damn thing against Calzaghe or Hopkins.

Mosley looked great in his fight with Margarito because Marg was slower than ******ed molasses and he didn't have his plastered wraps. He met a fighter who wasn't overwhelmed by his aggression and got stronger as the fight went on as opposed to wearing down. Marg had no answer because what he pretty much relied on his whole career didn't work. Easily one of the most overrated fighters in recent times. Sorry chicos but you need to pull your head out of your asses.
          Spot on Derranged

Comment

Its simple really, the Margarito win was fools gold. Mosley was already on the decline but when he stepped into the ring with a shook Margacheato that just minutes earlier had been busted with plaster wraps, Mosley was able to look good against an ovverated bum.
            Who knows how long Cheato had been using the plaster to pile up the W's. Without them he probably would be just another stepping stone fighter.
            People thought that Shane was back after that fight but in reality he was already on the decline. Couple that with a year and a half layoff after that and he was exposed against Floyd, Mora, Pac, and finally Canelo.
            Shane never had a late career comeback, he had one win four years ago that in hindsight really meant nothing.

Comment

I think it's a combination of things. For some reason few want to admit the possibility that Margarito outgrew the welterweight division, and may have taken a little something out of himself cutting that few extra pounds. That and/or he cut weight too drastically. His mind may have been effected by everything that took place in the dressing room. Let's not dismiss overconfidence; he just beat the guy that beat a younger Mosley. Give Mosley credit too, he came in there with a gameplan and executed it brilliantly. And frankly, stylistically, Margarito was everything Mosley had ever wanted in an opponent. It could be everything I said, some, or none of it, either way, I don't think you can narrow it down to one specific reason. Also, after the fight Mosley hadn't stepped into a ring until 15 months later. That's a pretty long break for a 38 year old...and then to get in the ring and do it against Floyd Mayweather of all people. Floyd's not going to make it any easier.

Before the Margarito fight we suspected he was finished, the Mayweather fight just reminded us why, and the Mora fight confirmed it. I'm one of the suckers who actually thought there's a chance Mosley might look a little of his old self versus Manny. Manny is probably the exact opposite of Sergio Mora. Manny gives his opponents opportunities to shine, often times he'll come straight forward, and I thought he'll put himself in a position to test Mosley's power and there would be exchanges. So I was thinking the fight would be better than others expected it to be. Mosley had other plans in mind that night.

Comment

He was juiced to the **** in the Margarito fight!! I've said it since the night it happened!

Comment

I think he was juiced up majority of his career.

Comment

He looked ****e vs Mayorga too. Even vs Cotto he was evidently past his best

Comment

A combination of wearing down, age and just fighting for a check.

Comment

Working...
                      X