No announcement yet.

If Sugar Ray Leonard was more active?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Sugar Ray Leonard was more active?

If Sugar Ray Leonard was more active and didn't spend those years in retirement, would have he been up there with Sugar Ray Robinson on the all time lists?

Apparently, he already is. There's a Top 100 list on this forum right now that has him in the top 10. Myself, if I had ever sat down and made a top 100 list Leonard may or may not be on it. I guess he is probably in the top 20 or 25 welterweights, though I suspect some think he is top 2 at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      Apparently, he already is. There's a Top 100 list on this forum right now that has him in the top 10. Myself, if I had ever sat down and made a top 100 list Leonard may or may not be on it. I guess he is probably in the top 20 or 25 welterweights, though I suspect some think he is top 2 at that weight.
      You really have even the slightest doubt whether Leonard is one of the top 20 welterweights ever?

Comment

I don't know. I've never taken the time to sit down and go back over all the fighters that competed at ww, many of whom I've never seen, just read about, and start trying to make comparisons. I really hated Leonard (like I hate all boxers from the Olympics, except Michael Spinks and Joe frazier), so I have a bias there, but I have to admit that he generally found a way to win.

Comment

I think if he fights McCallum at any point from 82-87, Leonard losses.

Comment

Leonard went 26-1 as a Welterweight with wins over Benitez, Duran, Hearns; Dave Green, Randy Shields, Pete Ranzany, Andy Price, Johnny Gant, Floyd Mayweather, Sr. The top wins in addition to his incredible abilities as a fighter as well as it being his best, most natural weight have a lot of people putting him amongst the top three at 147. How many wins are there better than his come-from-behind against favored Hearns (32-0, 30KO)? Leonard plays an enormous role in Roberto Duran's P4P standing as well.

Comment

If he had 120 fights, he would not have 1 loss.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                I think if he fights McCallum at any point from 82-87, Leonard losses.
                No offense But Leonard would have competely outclassed McCallum. Especially if he remained active.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossman View Post
                  No offense But Leonard would have competely outclassed McCallum. Especially if he remained active.
                  No offense, but Leonard never completely outclassed anyone decent above 147, with the exception of Kalule. So I do not see how on earth he would outclass one of the best fighters at the weight class.

Comment

Don't think anyone ever could 'completely outclass' McCallum in his prime, the guy was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X