No announcement yet.

Winky Wright turned down Oscar DeLahoya in 2005

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright turned down Oscar DeLahoya in 2005

BoxingScene.com: There was some talk a few months back, regarding Oscar De La Hoya having interest in staging a fight with you. Were there any serious discussions to make the fight or was this something Oscar was putting out there to test the fans' interest in the fight?

Winky Wright: A while back, after I beat Tito (Trinidad). Oscar came up and said that he would fight us. Somebody made a proposal from his camp. They gave us the proposal and we felt that the proposal was not good enough. We turned it down.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=2006

As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."
    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/26/Sp...weather_.shtml
    Dude turned down 6M dollars, lol

that's the only complaint I have about Winky he's priced himself out of a couple of fights and later complains about no one wanting to fight him

he also priced himself out of a fight with Arthur Abraham

Comment

wow that's crazy!.. what was Wink thinking? he probably would have won, and collected 6 million and whatever else on top of that, his name wasn't and never would be near Tito's(esp. from 1999) to ask for the same payday, btw does anyone know how much Mosley made for both matches with De La Hoya?

Comment

Originally posted by El Cabron View Post
        that's the only complaint I have about Winky he's priced himself out of a couple of fights and later complains about no one wanting to fight him

Winky thinks his a superstar because he beat a superstar, but it dosent work like that. Did he think all those people who paid to watch him fight Tito were there to see him?

Comment

Originally posted by El Cabron View Post

True true....

Comment

thats why ... outpricing himself out of a fight... is called the winky wright syndrome...

somebody should post this.. on winky's twitter hes gonna get fuel up!!

Comment

"but Oscar ducked Winky!"

Comment

Originally posted by TortillaWarrior View Post
                "but Oscar ducked Winky!"
                lol. I think when this kind of money is talked about fighters just start going crazy. 6m is not enough, I want 15m. lol

Comment

How much did Wright make in his next fight after rejecting DLH's offer?

If he made less than 6 million... he's a ducker according to people on here.

Comment

Just goes to show, Winky isn't all that confident in his skills as he appears to be by pricing himself out of all these fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X