Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best heavyweight in their prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the best heavyweight in their prime?

I'm not talking about who is considered to be the greatest heavyweight of all-time on a P4P list. I'm talking about which heavyweight, in their prime, was better than all other heavyweights in their prime.

I think I'd give it to Tyson. A prime Tyson would beat the prime versions of Ali, Louis, Holmes, Marciano, etc.

He was just too fast and too powerful. His defense was great and he always had an excellent chin.

When will the Tyson worship end?

Any elite HW who was resilient enough to withstand his early onslaught, and then able to take him in to deep waters late would finish him.

Comment

I like Tyson but how he beat Berbick, P. Thomas and Tony Tucker are not the best measuring tools against the all time greats. Many of them met many different styles and fighters more qualified than the above fighters. Sometimes power can be decieving, a fighter stops his opponent and we might think, he is that good. Ask yourself after watching Tyson with James Tillis if he could beat many of the ATG, sure it's possible but I doubt it.

Comment

it will be a fighter with a lot of heart when it comes down to it, because every fighter is going to have a bad stylistic matchup.

I'd say Ali, Frazier and Holyfield would come out on top with the most wins over other greats.

Tyson did great against guys that backed up and gave him room to launch his assault. He did bad against those what could weather the storm and back him up.

Foreman did great against guys that liked to bang, but didn't do so well when presented with angled and movement.

etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          it will be a fighter with a lot of heart when it comes down to it, because every fighter is going to have a bad stylistic matchup.

I'd say Ali, Frazier and Holyfield would come out on top with the most wins over other greats.

Tyson did great against guys that backed up and gave him room to launch his assault. He did bad against those what could weather the storm and back him up.

Foreman did great against guys that liked to bang, but didn't do so well when presented with angled and movement.

etc etc
          Very interesting post. Based on styles I picture Foreman doing very well against Tyson.

Comment

Best heavy weight in their prime? James J. Jeffries

Comment

Originally posted by RightCross94 View Post
              When will the Tyson worship end?

Any elite HW who was resilient enough to withstand his early onslaught, and then able to take him in to deep waters late would finish him.
              I think foreman could have with stood it, im not sure if the rest could have stood a peak tyson, ali would have to dancee well otherwise I think he would go.

Comment

Generally when people talk about Tyson's speed they are referring to his hand speed which was very good for a 5'10" puncher. He was not known for his foot speed or especially good at cutting off the ring. It might have seemed so because most opponents came to him or held on for dear life. The only fighter other than Tillis that offered him alot of movement besides Tillis was Larry Holmes and Holmes was returning from a near two year layoff and was near 40.

Comment

George Foreman and Sonny Liston were more devastating puchers than Tyson IMO...neither of them managed to hurt Ali...so it will be crazy to think Tyson will be able to knockout Ali....and if Tyson doesn't knock Ali out, how is he going to win the fight??? Tyson outbox Ali and win on points??? no chance in hell...Prime Ali is the fastest heavyweight ever...sure, Tyson had his bobbing and weaving style, but so did Frazier....Ali pummeled Frazier's head into submission when Ali was 10 years past his prime....

Prime Muhammad Ali > everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post
                    I'm not talking about who is considered to be the greatest heavyweight of all-time on a P4P list. I'm talking about which heavyweight, in their prime, was better than all other heavyweights in their prime.

I think I'd give it to Tyson. A prime Tyson would beat the prime versions of Ali, Louis, Holmes, Marciano, etc.

He was just too fast and too powerful. His defense was great and he always had an excellent chin.
                    No heavy in the history of the sport was better than the Ali of 64-67. He would have made Tyson cry like a woman. He would have made him quit, period.

Comment

Working...
                    X