rep range

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rep range

how many reps is good for boxing.
    say for calisthenics do max reps or 8-12 for sets?

Don't measure your sets by reps, rather go until failure.

Training to failure is to continue repetitions to the point of momentary muscular failure. Failure is not the point where you think you cannot do another rep, it is the point where you physically can not complete another repetition.

Training to failure should be emplyed in all aspects of training including cardio. By training to failure, one fatigues enough of the muscle fibres to prevent another rep. This increases muscle endurance, strength and power.

Your first set of reps can be used as a warm up where you do not continue until failure.

Comment

why do they say 8-12 is the optimal for muscular hypertrophy and endurancea nd strength then ? so confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by lilaznjoker View Post
        why do they say 8-12 is the optimal for muscular hypertrophy and endurancea nd strength then ? so confusing.
        8-12 is for size

Comment

If you slow your reps down or adjust your body position you may be able to reach failure in the 8-12 range.

Take crunches for example, if you position your arms at the side of your head and complete each repetition slowly (about 2 seconds for each rep) you will be able to reach failure sooner.

Also for press ups slow down the motion and add an incline. Elevate your feet by using the edge of the boxing ring or a bench.

Same goes for chin ups, slower reps means failure sooner.

I don't worry about rep range. I don't even count while performing calisthenics, my trainer counts for me so we can monitor progress. When I'm doing my reps I'm just concentrating on doing as much as I physically can.

Comment

so slow down explosive up?

Comment

so slow down explosive up?
              Slow down, slow up.

There are specific exercises you can use for explosiveness.

Clap hand press ups are great for explosiveness, and if you're finding them easy you can try triple clap push ups

Or you can try the medicine ball punch

Comment

ooh. okay. so if i want to gain a few pounds, then do 8-12 then switch to max reps. is it ok to do max reps everyday?

Comment

ooh. okay. so if i want to gain a few pounds, then do 8-12 then switch to max reps. is it ok to do max reps everyday?
                  Calisthenics yes. I wouldnt lift weights to failure everyday.

Comment

thanks for the advice. for now i think i'mma just go to failure every other day and 8-12 between those days.

Comment

Working...
                    X