No announcement yet.

Terrible Foot Pain when Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Foot Pain when Sparring

Hi all. I seriously doubt I have plantar fasciitis but everytime I spar, I can't go more than three rounds because the arch in both my feet start hurting like crazy. It's been bad enough for me to want to jump out of the ring and take my shoes off (which I've been doing for the past few months because of the terrible pain). I've changed boxing shoes twice and used three different types of insoles that are engineered for arch support but still no change. It's unusual because I only experience the pain when I'm sparring and feel nothing when I'm working out and engaging in other athletic activities. I need some advice quick because I'm competing in the Golden Gloves next week and I don't want it to be the reason for any losses!

Help Please!

what about when your jumping rope?

Comment

I really don't walk more than the average person my age (23 yrs. old) and my weight is considerably normal (5'7.5", 151.5 lbs.). I don't feel the pain when I jump rope or any other time for the matter. It's only when I spar. For the rest of the day I'm absolutely pain-free.

Comment

hmm.. i dunno..sounds a bit crazy. Are you tying your boots to tight perhaps? I know when i used to play Rugby i'd get terrible pain if the circulation was cut off and i put pressure on it... do you tie your again when you enter the ring to spar?

Comment

having proper footwear for YOUR type of foot is important. check it out:

http://running.zappos.com/runningfitguide.zhtml

also, these might help as well:

http://www2.yoursole.com/

custom, heat-moldable (baked in oven) insoles for a fraction of the cost of doctor prescribed orthotics.

i use the regular one, and they are the best insoles i have ever used.

by the way, you said you have pain in both arches? you could have low arches or be flatfooted. those kind of people need Motion control/stability type of shoes.

Comment

can you narrow it down more... exactly when does it happen when your sparring... both feet? lead foot, back foot?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
              can you narrow it down more... exactly when does it happen when your sparring... both feet? lead foot, back foot?
              The pain is fairly equal in both arches of my feet. The sensation is almost unbearable yet I feel absolutely nothing outside of the ring.

Comment

man i have had this problem before playing rugby and during sparring, running etc, keep your shoes at a comfortable tightness, your probably doing them up 2 tite and cutting off circulation i thought i had a foot problem till i found out i was putting my shoes on too tight, also, your shoes may be too small

Comment

You probably are putting more strain on your plantar fascia during sparring due to the rapid changes in direction and repetitive plantar flexion (calf raises) in sparring. If you had plantar fasciitis, it would throb like a mutha after your workout. Get to a podiatrist or physio for more advice. Usually good shoes with good arch support and heel control, massage and stretching of the plantar fascia with ice should decrease the pain. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X