No announcement yet.

Good boxing books?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good boxing books?

What are some good books to read to learn more about things like fighting styles, defensive techniques, etc?

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What are some good books to read to learn more about things like fighting styles, defensive techniques, etc?
    not to many people on here can read...

but...the ten commandments of boxing is pretty good! by by Alan Lachica! Another good one is ...Art of Boxing and Manual of Training by by William Edwards. It was wrote back in 1888. Takes you back to the old school. its good to mix the old with the new IMO! Also try, Advanced Boxing...it teaches you more advance levels than the basics! Cant remember the authors name!
    hope that helps!

Comment

Championship Boxing by Jack Dempsey is how I initially taught myself to box.

I was commended for my technique when I started going to a boxing gym...though my "jolt" was described as me "jumping in." I think strictly following his instructions on form, weight shifting, etc. is a good starting point if you're just going to play around with it a bit and want to learn some basic theories.

Comment

Joe Frazier's book (i think its called box like the pros)
        and Dempseys book is pretty good too. Both fun reads as well.

Boxing books are kind of tough though, alot of the are horrible, alot of them are outdated, and alot of them may have good information, but are boring as hell.

Combine reading with alot of internet study, and get in a gym. If a gyms not around, talk to cops and the fire department, they tend to know anyone who trains fighters. (for better or worse)

Comment

Working...
        X