Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My feelings on last night, Khan, and Khans future.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by komodo View Post
    Personally I dont think Lamont did enough to rip the belts away from Khan but hey it is what it is. The ref was a joke never seen him in charge of a title fight before and hopefully we'll never see him again. Khan can bounce back but he needs to raise his game big time.
    I think he's the same ref who worked a couple of Too Sharp Johnson's fights some years ago, I saw him in a Leila Ali fight as well.

Comment

I'm sure Khan was partly overlooking Peterson last night. Ultimately, losses like these only help fighters like Khan. He is still supremely talented, and damn good fighter.

He will continue to have a very good career, and I still think he will be the best fighter not named Pacquiao or Mayweather when he moves up to 147. Khan-Ortiz is a closer fight in my mind now, but no other fighter touches Khan.

Comment

Honestly, I hope the rest of you recognize what happened last night as Lamont Peterson, a very good fighter, finally stepping up and fulfilling his potential. He is a very good fighter, and one of the more well rounded fighters in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Ivey View Post
          I was VERY disappointed Khan didn't learn his lesson from Maidana.... Maidana was landing CLEAN uppercuts whilst on the inside - Khan has yet to rectify this problem. Can't really take anything away from Khan's power.. you've got to remember Peterson is a beast is like Marquez in terms of resilience - Ortiz beat the crap out of him in the first rd and he came back never to be bothered by Ortiz's power again.

I want to see Peterson vs Maidana.. that would be awesome.
          I said the same thing over in the history section, Peterson against Maidana or Matthysse would be guaranteed FOTY contenders. With Peterson finally thrusting his name in the conversation at 140, one of those fights needs to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
            Okay, first off I'd like to tip my hat to both fighters. That fight was wonderful, a great fight indeed. My respect for both fighters really grew, especially for Amir Khan(except for his post game comments but I can understand his frustration). Anyways, last night I didn't really like the verdict but I can't complain that much about it. I felt Khan did enough, even with the point deductions to win but it was close. As for the point deduction, it was a bit odd but I'm never going to knock the ref for doing his job. What Khan was doing was illegal and a ref doesn't have to give warning after warning to stop. Khan didn't respect that ref and it paid dearly in the end for it. Either way great fight.

As for Amir, this was bound to happen though. At 140, he's a big dude and has always been the bully in there. Last night he wasn't the bully. Instead he was being bullied and had no answer but to push, headlock, and hold the charging Lamont Peterson. His footwork was once again sloppy and he was just way too frustrated to execute a good gameplan. I certainly wouldn't be deterred if I was him though. Although he got the L and lost his belt, he could of certainly won if a different ref would of deemed pushing a bit differently.

With that said I do believe that this shows that Khan isn't as gifted as he is thought to be. Sure, at 140 he still could be the man but that style and grit that Peterson applied would not be lost in a Bradley fight. Bradley isn't as strong but he certainly would attack the inside game, a game that Amir doesn't have. In back to back weeks we have seen two guys, Amir Khan and Antonio Margarito, when backed up they had no answer for up close fighting. Even if Amir does beat Bradley though(there are reasons why he might), it gives us insight on what a mistake moving to 147 would truly be. Khan fills out but at 147 he certainly wouldn't be bullying many. I truly believe Khan is the type of guy that may be big but he isn't really that strong of a guy but has been able to do it because he is much bigger at 140. At 147 it would even out and that wouldn't be an advantage.

Agreed? How did you guys feel about everything that went down last night?
            His footwork was sloppy, that proves you know **** all about boxing.

Comment

The problem is Khan doesn't seem to be improving that much under Roach or we just overvalued his skills because he is really fast. A lot of us forgot that being a sound boxer is much more than hand speed.
              I didn't forget it. I've been saying it for the longest about Khan. What he's good at, he's really good at, but he's not a terribly rounded fighter, and too many people confuse speed with skill. I've said that, and continue to say it, as a Khan supporter.

What he's got is still enough to win a rematch, though, if he's a little smarter.

You made some decent points, but this,

In back to back weeks we have seen two guys, Amir Khan and Antonio Margarito, when backed up they had no answer for up close fighting.
              . . . wasn't even remotely close to being one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
                Khan's footwork has never been especially great, nor the most consistently intelligent, nor even the most fluid (being able to move your feet quickly isn't necessarily tantamount to great footwork), although it's become much more effective than it was pre-Roach.

Comment

khans footwork is sloppy. i dunno why u think otherwise.

Comment

Please explain. You're the first person that I've seen defend it. Chances are you have no real reason since all you could do was throw out some personal attack. Khan is sloppy as fuk. Arguably the worst part of his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post

You made some decent points, but this,

. . . wasn't even remotely close to being one of them.
                      What you mean? Both Marg and Khan struggled inside. Marg is a good inside fighter but only good when he dictates the pace. When Cotto pressed he was pushing Marg around and dominating him on the inside.

Regardless the fight last night showed how important inside fighting is. Unless you are so gifted, like a Floyd Mayweather or have a huge reach, like the Klits you need that inside fighting. It's so vital.

Comment

Working...
                      X