No announcement yet.

Jon Jones scoffs at Khabib taking over as pound-for-pound best, GOAT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Jones scoffs at Khabib taking over as pound-for-pound best, GOAT

Jon Jones is happy to praise Khabib Nurmagomedov on an incredible career, but he’s not ready to just hand over his spot as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, much less declare anybody else as the greatest of all-time.

At UFC 254, Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from MMA just moments after submitting Justin Gaethje to retain his lightweight title and move his record to 29-0 overall. The undefeated Dagestani superstar then asked for a the No. 1 spot in the pound-for-pound rankings as one final gesture in a career where he dominated his competition while losing only two rounds in the octagon.

While Jones conceded his No. 1 pound-for-pound ranking momentarily to help celebrate Nurmagomedov’s career, the former UFC light heavyweight champion quickly pointed out all the ways he’s superior.

“15 world titles, numbers don’t lie,” Jones wrote on Twitter. “Definitely a powerful moment, but my logic is definitely not clouded. I’ve won 15 world titles, he just won his 4th. The fact that this is even a conversation is mine blowing to me.”

For all the ways Jones congratulated Nurmagomedov for his record and resume, adding he surely “made his father along with millions of fans around the world incredibly proud,” he’s not ready to hand over his life’s work.

Jones is more than happy to remind everybody of the heady list of accomplishments he’s put together, essentially remaining undefeated – outside of a lone disqualification loss in a fight he was dominating – in the UFC over the past decade.

“When I signed with UFC I was one of the youngest fighters on the roster, youngest champion in the history of the sport and have only had three competitive fights,” Jones said. “I understand most people have never been number one in their community, state, let alone the world. My competitive nature won’t allow me to just stand by and see someone ask to be considered the best. I’ve sacrificed too much blood.

“I mean if I get out ranked by a man with only three title defenses, I don’t really know what to think anymore. Over 50% of my career have been title fights. LeBron James is allowed to win a game by one point but not Jon Jones. Man I have really spoiled you guys.”

Perhaps recency bias plays a part, but Jones just can’t fathom how his overall career suddenly pales in comparison to Nurmagomedov, no matter what he did on Saturday night at UFC 254.

“If we’re having a popularity contest, I’d gladly take my L,” Jones wrote. “This ***** has nothing to do with fame or being a good person. I’ve giving my whole adult life to this game, I owe it to myself to speak up. People want me to stay quiet and let him have his moment while I just sit back and watch my hard work get moved down the rankings. It’s not fair to my family, or the team of people who have sacrificed to get me this far

“Not salty at all, I really do respect Khabib, I honor the type of man he is. But being the best is earned not given. Unfortunately four title fights ain’t it, no matter how much we all like [him].”

Says the man who legitimately failed drug testing at least once...

Comment

Jones lost his place with the failed test.

Comment

Well if Khabib is retired, he won't keep that spot for long so I don't see why he's so bothered.

Comment

Khabib was already p4p no1 for me before the Gaethje win, that just solidified it. As far as actual GOAT discussions go though, he retired too early imo.

Comment

Khabib dominated in a way NO ONE else did. You can count the amount of rounds he legit has lost on one hand LOL and he debuted over a decade ago. I'm sorry but that is INSANE. The guy is 32 and looks to be only getting better. GSP at 32 was clearly past his best. He was taking more shots than he had ever taken. He really and truly got a gift decision vs Hendricks. I think most people gave that fight to Hendricks. I say that as a HUGE GSP fan, he got lucky there. GSP also lost vs Matt Serra and Matt Hughes and had a super close fight with BJ Penn, we have to recognise that. GSP has had a crazy schedule in terms of competition.

Jones record is deceptive IMO. He came at a time and got a lot of wins on his record against legends who were in their prime years before. Shoguns best year was 2005, he fought Jones in 2011 coming off huge knee injuries and imo didn't even look in shape. Rampage was in good shape but he was like what 4-5 years past his year in MMA. Chael Sonnen a jobber at 205, let's be honest.

I do rate Jones wins vs Belfort, Evans, Gus 1 and Cormier 1 highly. Very good wins. If you look at resume, you'd have to give it to GSP. He fought a high level of competition over a long period of time and did it at multiple weight divisions. If Jones goes up and gets that title. You have to give him #1 without a doubt IMO. He goes into every fight the bigger guy by far. I want to see him fight guys his size or guys which could even be bigger than him and see how he does. I think he lost his last fight personally. I also can't rank him because of his multiple PED infractions.

It all boils down to what you value the most.

Khabib however does deserve that #1 P4P. That should be based on not only winning but the manner of victory. Jones hasn't looked too convincing for years. He fought a washed up Gus too the second time.

Comment

Jones is hating.

Comment

It's hard to argue against Khabib being the P4P#1. The guy deserved his accolades.

Comment

Picograms.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Jon Jones is happy to praise Khabib Nurmagomedov on an incredible career, but he’s not ready to just hand over his spot as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, much less declare anybody else as the greatest of all-time.

At UFC 254, Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from MMA just moments after submitting Justin Gaethje to retain his lightweight title and move his record to 29-0 overall. The undefeated Dagestani superstar then asked for a the No. 1 spot in the pound-for-pound rankings as one final gesture in a career where he dominated his competition while losing only two rounds in the octagon.

While Jones conceded his No. 1 pound-for-pound ranking momentarily to help celebrate Nurmagomedov’s career, the former UFC light heavyweight champion quickly pointed out all the ways he’s superior.

“15 world titles, numbers don’t lie,” Jones wrote on Twitter. “Definitely a powerful moment, but my logic is definitely not clouded. I’ve won 15 world titles, he just won his 4th. The fact that this is even a conversation is mine blowing to me.”

For all the ways Jones congratulated Nurmagomedov for his record and resume, adding he surely “made his father along with millions of fans around the world incredibly proud,” he’s not ready to hand over his life’s work.

Jones is more than happy to remind everybody of the heady list of accomplishments he’s put together, essentially remaining undefeated – outside of a lone disqualification loss in a fight he was dominating – in the UFC over the past decade.

“When I signed with UFC I was one of the youngest fighters on the roster, youngest champion in the history of the sport and have only had three competitive fights,” Jones said. “I understand most people have never been number one in their community, state, let alone the world. My competitive nature won’t allow me to just stand by and see someone ask to be considered the best. I’ve sacrificed too much blood.

“I mean if I get out ranked by a man with only three title defenses, I don’t really know what to think anymore. Over 50% of my career have been title fights. LeBron James is allowed to win a game by one point but not Jon Jones. Man I have really spoiled you guys.”

Perhaps recency bias plays a part, but Jones just can’t fathom how his overall career suddenly pales in comparison to Nurmagomedov, no matter what he did on Saturday night at UFC 254.

“If we’re having a popularity contest, I’d gladly take my L,” Jones wrote. “This ***** has nothing to do with fame or being a good person. I’ve giving my whole adult life to this game, I owe it to myself to speak up. People want me to stay quiet and let him have his moment while I just sit back and watch my hard work get moved down the rankings. It’s not fair to my family, or the team of people who have sacrificed to get me this far

“Not salty at all, I really do respect Khabib, I honor the type of man he is. But being the best is earned not given. Unfortunately four title fights ain’t it, no matter how much we all like [him].”
                    It's not even the drug tests..

He's had much closer fights and lost to reyes and gufstasson...

Khabib dominated everyone, dominated

Comment

Working...
                    X