No announcement yet.

LIRR Rider Charged With Hate Crime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIRR Rider Charged With Hate Crime

I'm liberal but this is getting out of control. He's being charged with a hate crime for yelling out racist remarks to a black woman.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/24/lirr-r...ium=SocialFlow

The LIRR rider caught on camera spewing a bigoted rant was charged with a hate crime that could land him behind bars, officials said Wednesday.

The Queens DA charged 58-year-old Long Beach resident Edward Ruggiero with third-degree menacing as a hate crime and second-degree aggravated harassment — crimes punishable by up to a year in jail and $1,000 fine.

“The bigotry and hatred that the defendant is accused of manifesting and acting upon have no place in a civilized society — especially in Queens County, the most culturally diverse county in the nation,” Queens DA Richard Brown said in a statement.
    see also
    Woman targeted in racist LIRR rant speaks out
    Woman targeted in racist LIRR rant speaks out

“No one should be subjected to the vile words and intimidating actions the defendant is accused of tormenting the victim with. Crimes of hate will never be tolerated here and when they do, regrettably occur, those responsible will be brought to justice.”

Ruggiero was allegedly caught on camera on April 19, at some point between 9:53 p.m. and 10:25 p.m., going off on fellow rider Soraya Orelien, an African-American woman who was headed home to Lynbrook after a long day at her Manhattan college.

The angry man claimed he was upset that Orelien, 25, was talking too loudly. When another young black woman came to Orelien’s defense, the man launched into a vile, racist rant that was recorded.

“Shut the f–k up, you f–king loudmouthed monkey motherf–ker,” the man screamed.

“I can’t listen to your f–king black ass no more … You f–king loudmouthed ***** … At least I got a f–king mother. Do you know who your mother is? You don’t know who your mother or your father is because you’re a f–king monkey, that’s why.”

Ruggiero was being held pending arraignment in Queens Criminal Court, the DA said.

Woah, those are some terrible words that came out of his mind and mouth, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
      Woah, those are some terrible words that came out of his mind and mouth, though.
      Right. The guy's a racist prick I don't deny it. But a hate crime?? I don't see it.

Comment

Liberals hate both the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

Comment

Well, his actions and words came from a place of deep hate, not some spur of the moment, temporary anger.

I don't think people should just be allowed to go around doing that without some sort of consequence.

Comment

I don't see the issue here.

Comment

Lol I just read 1bad65's post. He thinks a white guy should be able to yell all kinds of racist, hateful stuff a black person due to free speech. What a piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                The extreme left is an embarrassment. Any time a conservative finds out that I'm liberal, I'm automatically associated with the worst kind. You can be liberal without being a bat shit crazy off the deep end offended by your own shadow buffoon....

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
                  Well, his actions and words came from a place of deep hate, not some spur of the moment, temporary anger.

I don't think people should just be allowed to go around doing that without some sort of consequence.
                  The consequence is that he's on film saying these things and that he has to frequently face minorities. He might live in a white section of Long Island but if he travels in and out of Manhattan every day for work, not so white. He also made the news. Being branded a racist in the media is not a slap on the wrist these days.

My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post

have you read either of those things? last time i talked to you you had not read the first amendment and it was very clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X