Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nicholson In ICU; Hurd-Williams Undercard Fight Canceled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nicholson In ICU; Hurd-Williams Undercard Fight Canceled

Super middleweight Demond Nicholson was recovering in ICU at a Virginia hospital Saturday afternoon due to an undisclosed kidney condition. Nicholson's promoter, Lou DiBella, told BoxingScene.com Nicholson's fight against Ernest Amuzu, scheduled for Saturday night, was canceled once Nicholson was hospitalized Friday. The Nicholson-Amuzu match was supposed to be part of the Jarret Hurd-Julian Williams undercard at EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, Virginia.
    [Click Here To Read More]

This weight cutting sh^t needs to be fixed. Its clearly a problem & a sport within the sport of boxing which defeats the purpose of weight cutting in the first place.

Boxing needs to be innovative here & maybe look into what ONE Championships (a MMA league in Asia) is doing with getting weight cutting out of combat sports. Its a completely unnatural thing they got mfers doing with this dumb ass sh^t.

Wish Nicholson well in recovery.

Comment

This is why the Virginia brought in this weight rules. And am glad they did. Stick to higher weight. Not only do they have to make the weight but they cannot be more than 10 pounds over the fight weight. This would mean either promoters not staging events in Virginia in the future, or fighters fighting in the right weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        This weight cutting sh^t needs to be fixed. Its clearly a problem & a sport within the sport of boxing which defeats the purpose of weight cutting in the first place.

Boxing needs to be innovative here & maybe look into what ONE Championships (a MMA league in Asia) is doing with getting weight cutting out of combat sports. Its a completely unnatural thing they got mfers doing with this dumb ass sh^t.

Wish Nicholson well in recovery.
        I was thinking of them getting rid of the countless inbetween weight divisions, but I suppose that is to facilitate people who are trying to kill themselves making weight. I mean it sounds harsh, but if you're going to the extremes of cutting say 15+ lbs to make weight maybe its your fault?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          This is why the Virginia brought in this weight rules. And am glad they did. Stick to higher weight. Not only do they have to make the weight but they cannot be more than 10 pounds over the fight weight. This would mean either promoters not staging events in Virginia in the future, or fighters fighting in the right weight class.
          It's similar here in Ontario Canada. Fighters weigh in on the morning of the fight and so fighters are basically forced to cut less and fight closer to their natural weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Skull View Post
            I was thinking of them getting rid of the countless inbetween weight divisions, but I suppose that is to facilitate people who are trying to kill themselves making weight. I mean it sounds harsh, but if you're going to the extremes of cutting say 15+ lbs to make weight maybe its your fault?
            You're 100% correct.

BUT when some guy dies cuz of weight cutting boxing is gonna be the one getting most of the bad press & cats saying how this weight cutting stuff is a antiquated thing.

And it IS a antiquated thing. There are various means that amateur wrestling & ONE Championships have shown that work to make weight cutting be less of a thing not to mention much safer.

There is no question there is personal responsibility with this, but there is institutional problems with the whole concept of weight cutting in the first place thats the bigger issue I'd argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Skull View Post

Its so ironic because this is jarrett hurds card the same guy that cuts 50LBS to make 154 lol

Comment

Floyd got ripped for it but If it was possible I’d want all these fighters given a few stat bags of normal saline after a weigh in as a standard thing outside the heavyweight division.

I don’t doubt for a second that some fighters go in there with a stageable kidney injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                  Floyd got ripped for it but If it was possible I’d want all these fighters given a few stat bags of normal saline after a weigh in as a standard thing outside the heavyweight division.

I don’t doubt for a second that some fighters go in there with a stageable kidney injury.
                  lol floyd didn’t eve cut weight. That’s not why he used an IV lol.

You can apply to use one before the fight tho. Something else floyd didn’t do.

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                    lol floyd didn’t eve cut weight. That’s not why he used an IV lol.

You can apply to use one before the fight tho. Something else floyd didn’t do.
                    I’ve never been big into the conspiracy theories so not that up to date with when and where Floyd had it.

I do think for safety sake a bag of saline is worth just rolling out as standard. You can reverse acute kidney injuries very quickly

Comment

Working...
                    X