View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 9,463.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Meat View Post
lol dude, u need damaging gloves for sparring? thats funny. Ud be screwed at my gym because we used top ten gloves which are extremly forgiving, so ud probably hate em. Why don't you just use gloves that dont hurt your opponents in sparring as easy?
Like I said above. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want them on the defensive; I want them to WORRY about me hurting them. I'm a 5'9" light heavy but I have a 44 chest that balloons out of a 31 waist, visible cords in my neck, and I look like a guy who may not be bodybuilder beautiful or King Dosia corn-fed Bubba big, but who is immensely strong. I want my first jab off their guard sounding like a cannon. I will throw my cross into their guard now and again just to show them that I can drive it straight through and knock their hands out of position. I wouldn't hit them in the head that hard, but they don't need to know that.

I pull my punches in sparring (unless the other guy doesn't) -- but like I said above, my style works best when my opponent is thinking, "Please, God, don't let me catch one of those." I need the hesitation that accompanies that thought in order for me to close and get inside their guard, where I'm safe. My opponents are almost always taller than me and can connect with ranging jabs and hooks from outside of my long attacking distance, so I need them to back into corners because they're wary of getting smacked, and give me the middle of the ring. The only way I can control the fight is to intimidate the hell out of them. The extra 4 oz. on the gloves helps.

Last edited by fraidycat; 01-24-2007 at 01:23 AM.
fraidycat is offline   Reply With Quote