Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones looked great tonight, but lets not get carried away.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
    The ****. Ah man, this thread was made to get people into not believeing the smoke and mirrors illusion from last night. FFs, Tito Trinidad put up a better fighgt after years of inactivity. All Roy has is handspeed. His legs are gone, his stamina is not there, he has no head movement, and his defense is non existant. You're acting as if Hopkins ever lses in the middle of the ring, and is there to get hit. Joe Calzaghe isn't exactly a defensive master, and he was slipping Jones's telegraphed punches. Roy is shot, open your eyes. he lost in decisive fashion twice to Tarver 5 years ago, and Tarver doesn't have 1/4th the skills of Hopkins, and is much slower.
    I dont believe Roy is back in any shape or form, but smoke and mirrors dont only work in Roys favor. BHop is 3-3 in his last 6 fights and the 3 he lost to were all fighters more athletic than himslef. Neither Tarver, Wright, or Pavlik possess the handspeed Roy still has and Roy still has better stamina than JT. Lacy ws ruined by Calzaghe and I mean that in the literal sense, but Pavlik was a career 160lber with basically a 1-2 arsenal who loooked horrible at 170. Im not bigging Roy on this win, but maybe the BHop fans should do the same.

Comment

• On a side note, anyone catch Roy throw a seven left hook combo in like 2 seconds on Lacy last night?? If anyone can get a gif of that up they get points and green k from me........gotta love Roy, to me his style was like the Bruce Lee of boxing, it was his all his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReppinDubK View Post
        I dont believe Roy is back in any shape or form, but smoke and mirrors dont only work in Roys favor. BHop is 3-3 in his last 6 fights and the 3 he lost to were all fighters more athletic than himslef. Neither Tarver, Wright, or Pavlik possess the handspeed Roy still has and Roy still has better stamina than JT. Lacy ws ruined by Calzaghe and I mean that in the literal sense, but Pavlik was a career 160lber with basically a 1-2 arsenal who loooked horrible at 170. Im not bigging Roy on this win, but maybe the BHop fans should do the same.
        B-hop in the opinon of many beat Taylor both times, and beat Calzaghe. Fact is those fights were close and could have gone either way. They were also elite fighters, and why should you overlook Wright, Tarver and Pavlik? All were favorites to win. Pavlik was a 4-1 and most thought he would KO Hopkins. Hopkins is yet to lose clearly, those fihgts were not split decisions for nothing.

At this point Roy offers no threat to Hopkins. No ring savy, no headmovement, nothing. That fight would be very one sided IMO, and this is why Hopkins says he changed his mind after watching Roy get more or less demolished by Calzaghe.

Comment

The difference is that you could make a strong case for Hopkins getting robbed in those fights against Taylor or Calzaghe. Can we say that with Roy Jones as it relates to Tarver, Johnson or Calzaghe especially? I don't think so. Roy is done, let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta View Post
            Roy Jones was always a very overrated fighter in my opinion. I could understand it back then, but I don't know why he is still overrated even now. The guy has never had a boxing IQ and he got by on pure athletic ability. The only real elite level opponent that Roy beat during his 175 days was a prime Montell Griffin. And where are the Nunns, Benns, and McClellans on Roy's resume? Toney was weight drained even though it was still an outstanding victory. And the Hopkins fight wasn't one-sided at all. Roy Jones is the king of excuses when it comes to not performing up to standards. And that is why I don't believe that so-called hand injury he had during that fight. To be fair though, Hopkins and Jones are both to blame for not fighting a rematch with each other.
            I'll tell you why. People are morons. It's the same reason why if Mike Tyson came back today to fight Klitsko the boards would be full of chumps that swear to god Mike will win.
            Last edited by VipersThunder; 08-16-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

He is still shot, and Lacy was more or less tailor made. No Jones would not beat Calzaghe ina rematch, he would still get stopped by Glenn Johnson, Dawson would UD him, and Hopkins would as well or possibly stop him late. Roy Jones should beat Green and retire as a cruiserweight titlist, because I think he would lose to all those I mentioned, and Adanek would do some sinister things to him.
              1.) Adamek isn't that great at all, he just looks like an ATG against the current crop of fighters. 2.) Jones isn't shot, Yory Boy Campas is shot, Hasim Rahman is shot, Evander Holyfield is shot.

Comment

B-hop in the opinon of many beat Taylor both times, and beat Calzaghe. Fact is those fights were close and could have gone either way. They were also elite fighters, and why should you overlook Wright, Tarver and Pavlik? All were favorites to win. Pavlik was a 4-1 and most thought he would KO Hopkins. Hopkins is yet to lose clearly, those fihgts were not split decisions for nothing.

At this point Roy offers no threat to Hopkins. No ring savy, no headmovement, nothing. That fight would be very one sided IMO, and this is why Hopkins says he changed his mind after watching Roy get more or less demolished by Calzaghe.
                JT fought basically the same version of Lacy as Roy and looked about the same doing it. Roy also beat a younger more determined version of Tarver, Tarver is not that good and deserves to be overlooked. I dont care about odds I had good money on Hopkins beating Pavlik because his ring intellingence alone is too much for Pav. Wright was a good win, but I dont think Wright could beat Roy either and has lost his legs as well as Roy has. OF all the people calling robbery for those fights most were BHop fans to begin with so take that as you want. I wish Roy would reitre, but BHop at this point in his career I fell is being overrated.

Comment

JT fought basically the same version of Lacy as Roy and looked about the same doing it. Roy also beat a younger more determined version of Tarver, Tarver is not that good and deserves to be overlooked. I dont care about odds I had good money on Hopkins beating Pavlik because his ring intellingence alone is too much for Pav. Wright was a good win, but I dont think Wright could beat Roy either and has lost his legs as well as Roy has. OF all the people calling robbery for those fights most were BHop fans to begin with so take that as you want. I wish Roy would reitre, but BHop at this point in his career I fell is being overrated.
                  Wright from 2006-7 beats Jones at 170. Wright would block everything he would have to throw, and can actually land shots. Also Pavlik would have stopped RJJ. The ropes is one place you do not want to be against Pavlik.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta View Post
                    The difference is that you could make a strong case for Hopkins getting robbed in those fights against Taylor or Calzaghe. Can we say that with Roy Jones as it relates to Tarver, Johnson or Calzaghe especially? I don't think so. Roy is done, let it go.
                    I would appreciate it if before you commented on my posts you read all of them instead of jumping in a conversation you dont know whats going on. I admit Roy is done and have no problem doing so, but at 44 Hopkins is close and people need to realize beating a 170lb Pavlik did not resurrect his career

Comment

Wright from 2006-7 beats Jones at 170. Wright would block everything he would have to throw, and can actually land shots. Also Pavlik would have stopped RJJ. The ropes is one place you do not want to be against Pavlik.
                      Pavlik would have koed Roy fairly easily, but I disagree about Wright. Roy would win rounds bouncing fast shots off of Wrights guard and it would have won him rounds. I dont think Roys a world beater but he gives some fighters problems especially ones who have problems with fighters with quick hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X