No announcement yet.

How Good was Melderick Taylor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good was Melderick Taylor?

I Know that he was he was one of the fastest fighters ever in footspeed and handspeed, and he DESERVED to win that fight with Chavez, however how good was he compared to all-time greats or even some moderns like Mayweather.

Originally posted by kendom View Post
    I Know that he was he was one of the fastest fighters ever in footspeed and handspeed, and he DESERVED to win that fight with Chavez, however how good was he compared to all-time greats or even some moderns like Mayweather.
    He had exceptional talent but didn't have the longevity as a top fighter to be considered a great. Mostly it was from allowing himself to be drawn into unneeded wars. He did that in sparring too, not just in his fights. He loved to brawl it out and that takes it's toll on the body; he declined rapidly as a result.

Poet

Comment

Seems his chin was good too, he took quite many murderous blows from Chavez and later also Norris before he succumbed.

Comment

outstanding fighter at his best, just look at what he did against Chavez and even more so against Buddy McGirt. His workrate and combination punching speed combo is almost unparalleled through boxing history.

Unfortunately he was destined to have a short career. I think almost all he did was sparring and had a style that got hit often, and that punishment adds up quick.

Comment

I know and thats what finished, I think hje could have been one of the greatest if he had a different menatality and was trained by someone like Ray Arcel

Comment

Very good fighyer, exceptional talent.

Amazing hand speed.

Had he just had an ounce of power in his punch he might have beaten Chavez desicively.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post

One of the fastest fighters in history and a great combination puncher. But he did have his flaws. One was lack of KO power. He also was poor defensively and didn't fight smart at all. I think his speed overshadows the weakness that he had. To answer the other question, he was not on the same level as Mayweather as a fighter. I also don't consider Taylor an all time great if you're talking about top 50.

Comment

Melderick was a very good fighter.
                Exceptional speed.
                He was a fantastic combination puncher and this made him so good to watch.

Comment

I find myself saying "I wish he woulda.........." a lot with Taylor. He ws just one of those fighters I wanted to win because his offense and speed were unreal. Saddens me to think about what he could have been and the way it closed.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    One of the fastest fighters in history and a great combination puncher. But he did have his flaws. One was lack of KO power. He also was poor defensively and didn't fight smart at all. I think his speed overshadows the weakness that he had. To answer the other question, he was not on the same level as Mayweather as a fighter. I also don't consider Taylor an all time great if you're talking about top 50.
                    Lacked power in general really.

Top 50?? Taylor is not remotely close. He's not an ATG, no way.

Comment

Working...
                    X