No announcement yet.

Where does power come from?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does power come from?

when you throw a punch where does the power come from i know it matters wich punch but in general where does the power come from , back? , shoulder? , bicep?, tricep?,

It comes from muscle, speed, power, punching techinque, alot of things. Alot of muscles are used to throw a proper punch, even the leg muscles. Set on a swing with your legs off the ground and punch, you'll see that your legs play a huge part. Mike Tyson having 28" legs really gave him an edge.

Comment

thanx, but i stated my question wrong , what i ment was wat muscle groups?

Comment

He answered your question: nearly all of them. Legs, hips, abs, back, tricep, even the forearm/wrist for that extra wrenching turnover at the end. Nearly the entire body, from the toes up, is involved in a good punch. That's where the expression "power comes from the ground up" originates.

Comment

The arms just deliver the punch, most of the power comes from the trunk of the body and weight transfer between legs.

If you are looking for what exercises to perform in order to increase punching power, try: squats, deadlifts, neider press, cleans, overhead squats, straight leg deadlifts, full-contact twists, push presses, and dumbbell swings. (As you can see they are almost all "full-body" exercises. Strong biceps/triceps dont accomplish much for punching power.

And if you weren't looking for exercises to improve power, just wanted to know where it comes from; ignore my 2nd paragraph, and my answer is "whole body"

Comment

Tehnic is very important getting your whole weight in too it.

The upper body strech muscles are most important for punching but also legs are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDac
              The arms just deliver the punch, most of the power comes from the trunk of the body and weight transfer between legs.

If you are looking for what exercises to perform in order to increase punching power, try: squats, deadlifts, neider press, cleans, overhead squats, straight leg deadlifts, full-contact twists, push presses, and dumbbell swings. (As you can see they are almost all "full-body" exercises. Strong biceps/triceps dont accomplish much for punching power.

And if you weren't looking for exercises to improve power, just wanted to know where it comes from; ignore my 2nd paragraph, and my answer is "whole body"
              I thought too much weight training ain't good.

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
                I thought too much weight training ain't good.
                depends. if u dont stretch enough or you begin to get stiff you should lift less but more reps. lifting is only bad when you get stiff and robotic as long as ur still fluent with ur moves and ur hand speed isn't effected ur aight.

Comment

Oh no, no, no...do not get me wrong, I do not preach to lift weights in order to take place of sport specific training, rather one can supplement his training week with a session or 2 of powertraining (weights).

I personally do a hour workout of the exercises I mentioned earlier on wendsdays only, and a 45 minute pure bodyweight exercise session on saturdays...that is ALL I include in my training week for weight training.

So mOOks, you are indeed correct, too much weight training (when it takes place of sport specific boxing activities) is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDac
                    Oh no, no, no...do not get me wrong, I do not preach to lift weights in order to take place of sport specific training, rather one can supplement his training week with a session or 2 of powertraining (weights).

I personally do a hour workout of the exercises I mentioned earlier on wendsdays only, and a 45 minute pure bodyweight exercise session on saturdays...that is ALL I include in my training week for weight training.

So mOOks, you are indeed correct, too much weight training (when it takes place of sport specific boxing activities) is not good.
                    Hey DrDac, got a question.

I'm trying to get used to 16oz gloves but my arms are still pretty weak. When I shadow box with them, I feel like I'm hyperextending my arm. I feel a stretch at the elbow joint (the inner part where the bicep meets the forearm). Is my form wrong? Should I get used to lighter gloves first (I have 10oz gloves as well) should I strectch more? Is my bicep underdevelopped (lol)? Anyweyz WASAMATTER WITH ME lol!?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X