No announcement yet.

Are push-ups a good enough upper body workout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are push-ups a good enough upper body workout

If, for your training, you do a high enough ammount of push-ups, is this a good enough upper body workout? I want to know if I can do this instead of lifting weights.

it really depends what you're training for. if training for boxing... maybe - maybe not. with weights, you can focus alot more on target muscles.

right now, im doing push-ups and sit-ups for this week and the next week to prepare to start lifting regularly again. i haven't lifted in a few months so i felt that doing some reg. pushups would sorta get my muscles back in the flow of things.. just take everything one step at a time and don't overtrain.

Comment

I promote push ups more than weight training. All i do as far as weight training goes is, 100 punch outs with 4kg weights in either hand.

Comment

push ups will make your muscle tone and give you indurance, as will lifting light weights with high number of reps. Heavy weight pack on muscle in mass, which can slow you down and reduce flexibility. Weight training is necessary to add weight, muscle is better than fat, you can get more power from muscle also. Do both, one will help you with the other

Comment

press ups are the best thing for a new boxer, or even a more experience one.
          firstly they build alot of muscle if done frequently.
          secondly they dont put on vast ammounts of muscle that will slow you down and press ups also tone muscle, like what buff_mike said.

also they are great if you dont have the money for weights or dont like to use weigths ETC.

also they help "punch your weight" but then again so does heavy bag.

Comment

Originally posted by buff_mike10
            push ups will make your muscle tone and give you indurance, as will lifting light weights with high number of reps. Heavy weight pack on muscle in mass, which can slow you down and reduce flexibility. Weight training is necessary to add weight, muscle is better than fat, you can get more power from muscle also. Do both, one will help you with the other
            Well you theory of heavy weight packing on muscle mass is a little missleading to those up and coming boxer's buff. Burning more calories than u consume makes your muslces tone,removing adispose tissue(fat)from between and around the muscle, not the pushups themselves. You become only a slighy more muscular version of yourself because there is no additional resistance to overcome with you own bodyweight, your body never has to overcompensate for increasing intensities or load with your own body weight. As for heavy weights adding mass, well, only if that is your intention. You should see some of the 5'10" 175lbs power lifters, they have a light heavyweight frame but they bench 500lbs, squat 700lbs and deadlift 650lbs, so like I said only if a great degree of muslce mass is your intention. Health and fitness is my life son, don't get me started. You can increase muscular force therfore setting a stage to increase muscular power, which is force in minimal time. Boxing is the only sport on earth I think that still thinks heavy weights limity your flexibility, being sedentary limits your flexibility. Flexibility is something that has to be attained regardless of fitness levels, why do you think athelets stretch in the first place. So they won't be stiff! C'mon guy wise up, football is the most technological, medically, and physiologically advanced sport on the planet, with the exception of olympic track and field events.Them boyz lift heavy ass weights and move around faster than a centipede on crack. Ever seen the NFL in person? The TV don't do the speed justice. Bodybuilders make lifting weight look unappealing with overblown physiques, but that is the main focal point muscular mass, not muscular strength and power. They train only for mass not performance, so they don't work on a fraction of all the scientific mumbo jumbo I could ramble on about, that help develop the ultimate athlete. To all current and aspiring boxer, lifting weights and progressively heavier weights is the cornerstone for muscular power, and if you play sports u must use muscular power. Learn what does what and how to properly lift weights for your own personal/professional needs.....Or hire me I'll teach you. But seriously don't let what you've heard and not tried be the truth. You get what you work for bottom line.
            Last edited by BigDozer260; 08-30-2005, 10:55 PM.

Comment

One more thing your skill is the most important aspect of training, don't let your strength and contidioning routine affect your skill training, Sparring, Mitt work, speed bag, ect. And I know all you will think I'm crazy for saying this but here goes.......Running has nothing to do with boxing, running has to do with running. Don't ask me to explain it's to much scientific crap and I don't give out my training secrets

Comment

Pushups, dips and pullups are as good as they get.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDozer260
                  Well you theory of heavy weight packing on muscle mass is a little missleading to those up and coming boxer's buff. Burning more calories than u consume makes your muslces tone,removing adispose tissue(fat)from between and around the muscle, not the pushups themselves. You become only a slighy more muscular version of yourself because there is no additional resistance to overcome with you own bodyweight, your body never has to overcompensate for increasing intensities or load with your own body weight. As for heavy weights adding mass, well, only if that is your intention. You should see some of the 5'10" 175lbs power lifters, they have a light heavyweight frame but they bench 500lbs, squat 700lbs and deadlift 650lbs, so like I said only if a great degree of muslce mass is your intention. Health and fitness is my life son, don't get me started. You can increase muscular force therfore setting a stage to increase muscular power, which is force in minimal time. Boxing is the only sport on earth I think that still thinks heavy weights limity your flexibility, being sedentary limits your flexibility. Flexibility is something that has to be attained regardless of fitness levels, why do you think athelets stretch in the first place. So they won't be stiff! C'mon guy wise up, football is the most technological, medically, and physiologically advanced sport on the planet, with the exception of olympic track and field events.Them boyz lift heavy ass weights and move around faster than a centipede on crack. Ever seen the NFL in person? The TV don't do the speed justice. Bodybuilders make lifting weight look unappealing with overblown physiques, but that is the main focal point muscular mass, not muscular strength and power. They train only for mass not performance, so they don't work on a fraction of all the scientific mumbo jumbo I could ramble on about, that help develop the ultimate athlete. To all current and aspiring boxer, lifting weights and progressively heavier weights is the cornerstone for muscular power, and if you play sports u must use muscular power. Learn what does what and how to properly lift weights for your own personal/professional needs.....Or hire me I'll teach you. But seriously don't let what you've heard and not tried be the truth. You get what you work for bottom line.

theres always someone who bloody posts liek 8 pages.... now i have to read it!

Comment

Originally posted by .Go To Sleep.
                    If, for your training, you do a high enough ammount of push-ups, is this a good enough upper body workout? I want to know if I can do this instead of lifting weights.
                    There OK, problem with push ups is your not lifting your full bodyweight, only about 70% of it. I need to lift a lot more than my bodyweight or its too easy, i weight just over 100kg, so if i did push up i'd be lifting just over 70kg and thats far too easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X