Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PunchKOPOW!

Lol I laugh every time you call him Richie cause it sounds like he's your son or something.

lmao Funny you should say that; I've felt something similar. lol
    I know you got the habit of shortening guys' names but Richie is just funny cause it got that diminutive sound amongst other reasons. Know what I mean?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Many fights are lost or won because one guy's only defense for inside fighting is hold and the ref lets him get away with it. How tf is this fair? So these cases are dependent on the ref enforcing the rules and making the necessary warnings and point deductions.

And he wants Rios, an entertaining guy, again. Who would want to fight this boring guy? I'd avoid these fighters at all costs if I were a boxer. They'd ruin your rep with very low reward.

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
        I know you got the habit of shortening guys' names but Richie is just funny cause it got that diminutive sound amongst other reasons. Know what I mean?
        lol I understand. You've got me all self-conscious about it now.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
          Many fights are lost or won because one guy's only defense for inside fighting is hold and the ref lets him get away with it. How tf is this fair? So these cases are dependent on the ref enforcing the rules and making the necessary warnings and point deductions.

And he wants Rios, an entertaining guy, again. Who would want to fight this boring guy? I'd avoid these fighters at all costs if I were a boxer. They'd ruin your rep with very low reward.
          Yeah, Abril has a very "spoiler" type of style. Hard to look good against him.

But Richard (lol) doesn't just hold. He goes into a Philly shell and defies you. Holding is just one of the defenses in his arsenal. If the ref isn't calling him on it, why not continue to do it? I don't blame people for knocking him, he's not exciting to watch, but he is effective.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post

I take it you're on about the video a butthurt Rios fan made which actually showed Rios initiating most of the clinches?
            Rios is an entertaining guy, maybe, if he has a brawler with no defense or boxing ability stood infront of him.

You're right who would want to fight him? And its not because he has an ugly style, its because hes flat out levels above these guys at 135 & most of 140 too. They fight him, there going to get schooled & exposed and their stock will plummet.
            I guess he is high risk, low reward.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              I take it you're on about the video a butthurt Rios fan made which actually showed Rios initiating most of the clinches?
              Rios is an entertaining guy, maybe, if he has a brawler with no defense or boxing ability stood infront of him.

You're right who would want to fight him? And its not because he has an ugly style, its because hes flat out levels above these guys at 135 & most of 140 too. They fight him, there going to get schooled & exposed and their stock will plummet.
              I guess he is high risk, low reward.
              Abril knows what he's doing in there, no doubt. He can make a one-dimensional guy like Rios look silly. The way I see it, boxing skills were invented and developed, in part, so weaker men could level the field versus stronger men. I don't quite understand why real boxing fans can't appreciate and even admire that. Too many guys would rather see a pair of cavemen batter each other until the tougher guy remains standing. That might have some appeal, but it's just not boxing.

Comment

Like I said these kinds of fights are dependent on a ref who has a good way of dealing with such. Some fights are self-correcting and the ref doesn't have to do anything. One guy holds and he gets punished for doing so and gets hit because of the hold, especially if there's a size and power difference. Some can't simply be let go because the hold is too tight and the victim is helpless. In that case the ref has to make the necessary warnings and point deductions. Berto/Guerrero comes to mind at the moment. In most cases when the rules are enforced, the offender becomes less effective and begins to show signs of weakness. Peterson/Khan comes to mind. Khan is only effective outside, but he's an entertainer. He doesn't hold when he's cornered or against the ropes. Ever wonder how strong would Khan be if he applies holding? Man, he'll probably beat everybody.
                Last edited by Bullrider; 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
                  Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PunchKOPOW!

lol I understand. You've got me all self-conscious about it now.
                  Nah man do your thing lol.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Abril knows what he's doing in there, no doubt. He can make a one-dimensional guy like Rios look silly. The way I see it, boxing skills were invented and developed, in part, so weaker men could level the field versus stronger men. I don't quite understand why real boxing fans can't appreciate and even admire that. Too many guys would rather see a pair of cavemen batter each other until the tougher guy remains standing. That might have some appeal, but it's just not boxing.
                    i very much agree

http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upl...8218422016.jpg
                    poetically simple.

funny thing is Abril didnt even clinch very much at all against Ríos, he didnt even need to - Ríos buried his head into Abril's chest repeatedly and swung wildly, hoping to hit something. Abril stood straight upcovering with his right hand high and left shoulder across, and using good vision picked Ríos off easily.
                    sometimes he'd tie up an arm and work with just the other one - which is legitimate anyway- but most of the clinches i saw were initiated by Ríos, and almost every single one was as a result of Ríos's wading in and getting so close that there was no space for him to work effectively anyway.
                    there was only one guy who knew what he was doing in there.

i enjoyed the fight a lot and respect Abril for it a lot, because he let Ríos fight exactly the way Ríos wanted to yet completely outboxed Ríos.
                    the clever way he did this impressed me, very intelligent and controlled
                    Last edited by frosty-g; 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
                      http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upl...8218422016.jpg
                      poetically simple.

funny thing is Abril didnt even clinch very much at all against Ríos, he didnt even need to - Ríos buried his head into Abril's chest repeatedly and swung wildly, hoping to hit something. Abril stood straight upcovering with his right hand high and left shoulder across, and using good vision picked Ríos off easily.
                      sometimes he'd tie up an arm and work with just the other one - which is legitimate anyway- but most of the clinches i saw were initiated by Ríos, and almost every single one was as a result of Ríos's wading in and getting so close that there was no space for him to work effectively anyway.
                      there was only one guy who knew what he was doing in there.
                      That would depend on who you ask. But I agree with you, Abril didn't clinch nearly as much as some would have you believe. Everything you're saying about this is accurate, in my opinion.

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
                      i enjoyed the fight a lot and respect Abril for it a lot, because he let Ríos fight exactly the way Ríos wanted to yet completely outboxed Ríos.
                      the clever way he did this impressed me, very intelligent and controlled
                      Richie looked like the "old professor" against Rios. It was almost as if Abril were conducting a master class. Every time Brandon tried something, Richard demonstrated how to nullify it. It was very interesting and instructive to watch. Those are called "skills." Most fans wouldn't know what they were watching, so they label it "boring."

Comment

Working...
                      X