No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Guillermo Rigondeaux, Kazuto Ioka: Twelve The Hard Way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Guillermo Rigondeaux, Kazuto Ioka: Twelve The Hard Way

By Cliff Rold - No matter the strength of the bloodlines or the depth of the amateur pedigree, even the most stellar talents in boxing are brought along with care. At twelve fights, the best of them might be dipping their toe into the waters of facing contenders and veterans. Only a handful can say they’d won titles in such a short span.

Jimmy Britt, in only his twelfth pro fight, won a claim to the Lightweight title in 1904 by defeating Battling Nelson over twenty rounds. In 1986, Evander Holyfield bested Dwight Muhammad Qawi for the WBA strap in what is still regarded as the greatest Cruiserweight scarp of them all, enduring fifteen rounds of hell to do it. Oscar De La Hoya began his trophy collection with a knockout of Jimmy Bredahl for the WBO belt at 130 lbs. in 1994.

There are others who have won titles in relatively short spans, particularly in lower weight classes. Their ranks are limited. Boxing is a tough sport and the smart money, and it is literally money being invested in fighters after all, says to be safe rather than sorry early in a career.

Right now, boxing has two tremendous talents whose records stand at 11-0 with titles already around their waists. One has already taken, and won, a unification match, is battling in his second weight class, and may be on a collision course with one of the game’s biggest punchers. The other is reportedly dotting i’s and crossing t’s for his first unification contest against a three-division titlist who many hold in high ‘pound-for-pound’ esteem. [Click Here To Read More]

Good write up

Comment

I wonder how many weight classes Ioka will be able to move up. Boxrec has him listed a 5'5" and he's taller than that. I saw a pic of him next to Gamboa and he was at least a inch and a half taller. He was huge for 105. I really hope the fight with Gonzalez gets made it should produce fire works.

I'm glad Donaire Rigo is being made too, but I'm not holding my breath on it being exciting.

Comment

Good article.

Comment

It is a good read, well done.

Comment

Good article, Cliff. Nice work.

Comment

pay the man boxing scene

Comment

I like it.
                We always criticize fighters for taking too long to step up and these guys were doing it when they were fighting journeymen who're on horrendous losing streaks

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                  I like it.
                  We always criticize fighters for taking too long to step up and these guys were doing it when they were fighting journeymen who're on horrendous losing streaks
                  In that case, I give a lot more credit to Kazuto. He's only 23 years old. Rigo was already 28 when he kicked-off his professional life, after a legendary amateur career that included hundreds of fights. Guillermo had to move along quickly. I remember they were already talking about setting Rigo up with a world championship match after only two bouts.

Comment

i think rigo takes donaire

Comment

Working...
                    X