Clear All

• Prime James Toney vs Andre Ward @168

Who wins?

VS
    S.O.G
    28.16%
    Light Out
    71.84%

Ward has yet to face a top level slick fighter, as of right now I'd pick prime Toney to beat him but Ward is still growing and developing as a fighter.

Comment

What a fight.

Hard to pick a winner. The inside battle would be a sight to behold.

Comment

toney had issues facing boxers with the style of ward. i think it would be a 50/50 fight.

Comment

Toney would whip his ass all over the ring, while talking **** to him.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            toney had issues facing boxers with the style of ward. i think it would be a 50/50 fight.
            TBH Both their styles are problems for everyone. I say Toney

Comment

Pretty much what's been mentioned already. I don't see Andre doing anything meaningful on the outside against a Prime Toney and Toney did his best work on the inside,

he also had the much heavier hands and i'm not really sure who would have the speed advantage. I actually think it would be a pretty awkward fight with Toney pulling a UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                I like James in competitive, but not really close fight. He would do much cleaner work on the inside, land all big meaningful punches, outspeed Ward as well. Ward is not great outside fighter and he definitely doesn't beat Toney on the inside.
                I'm a big Toney fan. But, I disagree with what you just said. How is Ward a bad outside fighter. He's shown he can box inside, outside and at medium range. I think Ward would give Toney different looks throughout the fight, keeping Toney guessing. I'd say they're about equal in speed, if anything Ward being faster. They're also two COMPLETELY different fighters on the inside.

I think Ward's skill level, timing, the angles he comes from, chameleon-like versatility, and talent would at the very least make this fight very close, if not, Ward pulls out a 115-113 116-112 kind of win. That's coming from a LONGTIME Toney fan. Toney struggled badly with "boxers" like Ward. Guys who played the angles, who had elite boxing skills, who could give you different looks. Toney did best with guys he could allow to come to him, where he could relax and time guys while laying back on the ropes. When guys flipped the script on Toney, and used lateral movement and played the angles, he had big problems.

All I can say is, this would be a magnificent display of elite, high speed chess-like boxing.

Comment

the more i mow over this match-up, i can't help but think that if i were to create a fighter that would perfectly counter Ward's style, it'd be James Toney lol.

Let that be a testament to Ward's greatness as much as Toney's though, cuz fighters like Toney come once in a lifetime.

Comment

Toney would eventually catch him with something big. Toney had problems with fighters with great foot movement, not a guy like Ward. Toney murders him on the inside, and catches him coming in eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X