Bench press v. speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench press v. speed

What's up guys?

I have been boxing for roughly six months. Before boxing I stayed in the gym and lifted heavily basically trying to bulk up. I stand at 5'9'' and fluctuate in weight between 166 and 170. I was maxing out on the bench at 205. My question is if I continue to lift heavily will it affect my hand speed? I want to have a more developed upper body but I am not sure if heavy lifting will benefit me in terms of a more developed frame while maintaining hand speed. What do you guys think?

Thanks

If you make the positive portion of your reps explosive and quick, and continue to do other speed training methods, I don't think it will slow you down at all. Before I started boxing I was a powerlifter and I don't feel that bench pressing had any effect on my hand speed.

Comment

Thanks for the input mamoroso04. Before boxing I was just running and working out. So, I can say that the difference between my speed then versus now is at an significant amount but id say that is more due to the fact that I have been training and know how to throw a punch.

Comment

Dont listen to him. It is not good to lift heavy as a boxer. If you want to lift then do small weights, high reps. Also do medicine ball, and plyometrics to improve hand speed.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsbran1227 View Post
          Dont listen to him. It is not good to lift heavy as a boxer. If you want to lift then do small weights, high reps. Also do medicine ball, and plyometrics to improve hand speed.
          this is an age old quesion I dont think anyone here is qualified to answer it. I was a heavy weightlifter for all my life and got into boxing late. I hit harder than most guys doing it since they were a kid. My buddy mikey the same deal. Now, are we just naturally "hard" hitters or is it cuz we have very dense muscle fibers. I no longer bench very heavy but do keep a weight regimen. I think this is an individualized question.

Comment

Originally posted by sweet*science View Post
            What's up guys?

I have been boxing for roughly six months. Before boxing I stayed in the gym and lifted heavily basically trying to bulk up. I stand at 5'9'' and fluctuate in weight between 166 and 170. I was maxing out on the bench at 205. My question is if I continue to lift heavily will it affect my hand speed? I want to have a more developed upper body but I am not sure if heavy lifting will benefit me in terms of a more developed frame while maintaining hand speed. What do you guys think?

Thanks
            don't worry, do bench press it will give your punches power, but it will not take your speed away if you still to speed exercises... i'm 181cm 85kg bench press 125kg max and still fast as a mother****er.. pwnage

Comment

Originally posted by SerbianKO View Post
              don't worry, do bench press it will give your punches power, but it will not take your speed away if you still to speed exercises... i'm 181cm 85kg bench press 125kg max and still fast as a mother****er.. pwnage
              Based off of your shadow boxing video it seems like you don't even know how to box, let alone be "fast as a mother****er".

Comment

Well thanks guys, It sounds like it is trial and error for me. Thank you all for the input.

Comment

another good thing to do is pyramid your sets: do reps as in 15, 10, 5, 10, 15 or vice versa. thats has helped me alot. builds a lot of strength.

Comment

Sweet Science don't waste your time with light weights and high reps.. I really can't believe people think this is the way to lift. Hilarious!!

If you JUST lift heavy weights without improving RFD, speed, you can become slower. BUT performing true plyometrics will increase speed/power, RFD.

Even performing speed strength reps with the bench press won't make you as fast as plyometrics training because you decelerate with the bar at the end of the speed bench movement, to prevent this add bands, or chains to the barbell and you don't decelerate.

The bench press is just a general exercise. Strengthen your core in rotation, strengthen your lats, and legs to develop fight ending power.

Again, don't perform light weight with high reps, you won't get faster or more powerful this way, you get that type of muscle endurance training with your bag and mitt work.

Lift heavy weights to build base strength, then perform plyometrics to become frighteningly fast and powerful! Just hope that your competition is lifting with light weight and high reps, cause kicking their asses will be cake! :-)

Rob Pilger
                    http://www.boxingperformance.com
                    http://www.theultimateboxingworkout.com/fighters.html
                    Last edited by Rob Pilger; 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X