No announcement yet.

Jose Napoles Vs. Wilfred Benitez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Napoles Vs. Wilfred Benitez

I will repost this here, as it did not receive attention in Fantasy Fights. I apologize.

I like this matchup of smooth offense vs smooth defense

15 rounds @147

Who you got?

This is a very tricky pick IMO because neither guy had a proper prime. Benitez squandered it before peaking (and he would have IMO peaked at 154). Napoles had to re-start his career because of the Cuban revolution and was a small old welter during his reign (his prime would have probably been at 140 in his late 20s). Napoles was the bigger younger guy at 47, but at the same time Napoles in his 30s rarely had problems going 15 and he would have a big experience advantage. How useful would experience be against a guy whose instinct almost defied the laws of physics?

I am at a loss, and I have a bias towards Napoles, whose style I highly rate, so I will abstain for the moment.
    Jose Napoles
    75.00%
    Wilfred Benitez
    25.00%

I think Napoles gets to him late and stops him

Comment

This fight is hard to predict, but Napoles seemed to struggle against clever fighters...Billy Backus was clever and he beat him. On the other side, Benitez was beaten by fighters with same qualities that Napoles possessed-speed and power. So I'd say either a Benitez UD/MD or a Napoles late stoppage.

Comment

I think that Benitez wins a decision against Jose.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          This fight is hard to predict, but Napoles seemed to struggle against clever fighters...Billy Backus was clever and he beat him. On the other side, Benitez was beaten by fighters with same qualities that Napoles possessed-speed and power. So I'd say either a Benitez UD/MD or a Napoles late stoppage.
          Backus wasn't clever at all. He only beat Napoles because of cuts. When they had an immediate rematch Napoles tore him to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Backus wasn't clever at all. He only beat Napoles because of cuts. When they had an immediate rematch Napoles tore him to pieces.
            And how did he inflict those cuts on him?? By scoring frequently with punches!

Comment

He definitely struggled with clever boxers, that's why he beat down Emile Griffith but lost to Backus solely on cuts and destroyed him in the rematch when Napoles took him seriously.

Wait, what ?.

Comment

Yes, you have to be very clever to cut someone, lol. Just like how that "clever" Marcos Maidana cut Victor Ortiz.

Comment

Could you point me at something smart Backus used to do in the ring? I only saw him against Napoles, and I did not catch on his smarts.

Comment

This could hinge on whether you prefer defence or offence. Benitez' problem in certain fights was that while he was a defensive whiz, he too often neglected his own offence. He made Leonard and Hearns miss literally hundreds of times, but he wasn't firing much back himself which ultimately cost him in those fights. Benitez would make him look stupid at times but I say Napoles outworks him over the 15 rounds. Unless he gets cut of course...

Comment

Working...
                    X