Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goes for the ko

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilva View Post
      I was talking to a young pro boxer who is currently 8-0, by decision. No knock outs, just outpointed his opponents with a bore style like Mayweather's.

I told him, you want to get on international level / rankings / your name out there for a title shot work on knockouts and stoppages - no one is going to know who you are if you aren't an exciting fighter in the early stage of your career.

I was watching a video of his and he seems to be in poor form, no speed or explosiveness but a good technical style with average techniques - he has the potential but he needs to work on being more exciting to get his name out there.

What do you think?

fu$k all of that. all he needs to do is win.

"you rather look good and lose, than too look bad and win"

white man cant jump

Comment

Obviously, 'excitement' is totally subjective and is based on personal opinion. Therefore, it differs from individual to individual. For me however, I find boxing bouts most entertaining if they contain the highest level of skill.

By skill, I'm referring to the objectives of boxing which is offense (to land punches on the opponent (the more effective the punches, the more skilled the offense is) and to prevent opponents landing punches in return. Thus, the most skillful display is when a boxer rarely gets punched by the opponent (shows one of the best defense possible), whilst destroying the opponent, mainly resulting in knockouts or at the very least, inflicting significant damage upon the opponent whilst taking some of the shortest amount of time to accomplish the feat (shows one of the best offense possible).

Oleksandr Gvozdyk's demolition over Yunieski Gonzalez is an example of what I mean. Anthony Joshua's demolition of Kevin Johnson is an example of what I mean. Floyd Mayweather jr's demolition over Diego Corrales is an example of what I mean. Wladimir Klitschko's demolition over Eddie Chambers and Chris Byrd are examples of what I mean. Vitali Klitschko's demolition over Kirk Johnson is an example of what I mean. Guillermo Rigondeaux's demolition over Nonito Donaire is an example of what I mean and so forth so on.

I hope you get the point!

Comment

a lot of fighters will not always excite the crowd. You many fighters who people consider exciting but yet they will be in fights that are boring and not exciting. For example, Canelo is considered to be an exciting fighter, but yet there have been some of his fights that have been terribly boring. Same goes for a lot of other fighters. And it is impossible to be an exciting fighter your whole career without suffering damage that shortens their career. People called Floyd boring, but a young Floyd was exciting and demolishing everyone. He got older, injured his hands and adapted his style to continue to dominate fighters. A lot of fighters are considered exciting now that they're young, but will they be fighting in the next 10 years in that same style?

Comment

A good balance of offence/aggression, defense, skill and technique.

Comment

Most fighters who aren't Cuban or Floyd wannabe Americans.

Mexicans, Ukrainians, Russians & Brits are the best to watch.

Comment

Working...
              X