Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long were you boxing before your first amateur match?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were you boxing before your first amateur match?

How long did it take before you got your first amateur match? From when you first started?

Originally posted by boxeDD View Post
    How long did it take before you got your first amateur match? From when you first started?
    23 years

Comment

About a year.

Comment

3 months ,

Comment

cool, thanks for the responses.

Comment

A month. That is because I have trained with my father (who was a boxer too) when I was a kid, so I had a bit of a jump start.

Comment

This was a question that I often wondered so thanks for asking (and answering). To dig in a wee bit deeper how often in a week did you train from when you started to when you had your first fight.

Also, if you could map your initial development and training into stages, what would they be (I hope that makes sense!!)?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by digit View Post
                This was a question that I often wondered so thanks for asking (and answering). To dig in a wee bit deeper how often in a week did you train from when you started to when you had your first fight.

Also, if you could map your initial development and training into stages, what would they be (I hope that makes sense!!)?

Thanks in advance.
                i had my first fight 2-3 months after i starting boxing, before my first fight i trained 3 days a week.

i cant remember exactly the things i did when i first started. alot of rope for coordination and even more shadowboxing for technique. alot of footwork drills and practicing the same punches over and over.

so i guess the first stage is starting to learn the fundamentals.

the second stage is getting in the ring, get used to taking punches and staying relaxed. coping with pain, being under pressure etc. and applying the fundamentals u been taught in real action.

from there u just keep working on your skills and ring comfort for quite some time until u reach a certain level. improve basic fundamentals like footwork, balance, combination punching, blocking etc and apply it in the ring until u are a solid fighter.

then when i had the basics and my trainer figured out my strenghts and flaws (physicly, technicly and mentally) he gave me my style so to speak. started working more in certain areas based on my skillset.

to track developement is impossible, i had too many ups and downs and i cant really recall how everything went down. times when i lost dedication (when i was younger), fights that had a severe effect on my confidence etc.

thats something i can tell u btw, your confidence is very important in terms of how fast u evolve. if u dont believe in yourself u will get nowhere, if u are too arrogant u will miss out on alot of knowlegde and skills and most likely end up on your ass quite soon. its very important to believe in yourself while remaining humble. work hard and trust your training to carry you through.

Comment

Thats a great post Assasin, appreciate you taking the time.

Theres definitly a sound balance between humility and confidence on my part, my biggest fear is that I am quite a perfectionist in terms of the expectations I put on myself so risk spending too much time wanting to learn and refine every detail rather than just getting in and doing it!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X