No announcement yet.

Workingout in the Cold?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workingout in the Cold?

Ive heard it is good working out in cold weather because it keeps your body temp. down. Is that true and why???

Originally posted by ottoevans
    Ive heard it is good working out in cold weather because it keeps your body temp. down. Is that true and why???

Never heard it, Working out in the cold is as effective as working out in the warm weather, though.

Comment

ahhh the air debate, i seen loads of people talking about this and everyone has their own views on how they react to the cold or the hot

but cold dry air is deceptive, if you work out in it you wont see of feel yourself sweating like you do in hot and humid air. ok you probs know that already but the cold air doesnt hold as much water as warm air, your body then takes water from your body to warm the cold air before it gets to your lungs, and the loss of fluids there can effect ur stamina. so working out in the cold you can lose more weight than in the hot as you can lose quite a bit of the water from your body.

thats one of the reasons you have to be careful with dehydration when mountain climbing etc, also taking in cold air means your blood stays in the middle of your body less going to the feet and hands as to keep the main parts of you warm

where excersize in the cold/hot comes in it isnt a major thing but you have to be careful with extreme cold weather with dehydration and exercise-induced asthma

"Many people suffer from exercise-induced asthma (EIA), triggered by breathing in cold, dry air."

hope this helps

feel free to correct me on anythin that may be wrong etc

Comment

Right on Reakwon!!! You've been doing your homework. This is exactly it. So be careful when running in the cold. Start your program on a day that's not too cold and ease into it.

Comment

ea

how are u sppose to run in the mornings then, most mornings are cold if u havnt noticed

Comment

Havent heard about it but, working out in the cold will be more effective than in hot temperature if you want to lose fat.

Cause it take much energy too keep your temperature upp.

Comment

Its fine just warm up slow and dont cool down to fast.

Comment

its only in extreme cold temps that u get seriously effected, but u can work out harder in the cold without noticing it as much in warm weather, a 3 mile run is a 3 mile run, the temperature shouldnt effect u all that much... its more of a mental thing, tho working out in hotter temperatuers = more sweat so u are likely to lose more weight in hot, but u still sweat in the cold and u could lose water without knowing about it

Comment

I wouldn't recommend to workout in the cold because it's much easier to get injured and sick. If you do it anyway, take it easy and spend a lot of time on the warm-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Eken
                    I wouldn't recommend to workout in the cold because it's much easier to get injured and sick. If you do it anyway, take it easy and spend a lot of time on the warm-up.
                    Right, plus working out in the cold make's it very harder for you to breate and can give you a bad sore throat if you are doing it long enough, I wouldn't recommend working out too long in the cold, but if you're doing some roadwork or stuff like that, it's fine

Comment

Working...
                    X